PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just checked in to see if there was an update and there it is! Good luck on your recovery, and a congrats for the upcoming arrival of your daughter. I am blest with one myself, and can understand wanting to be around for as long as you can.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Ow, day-um, Shane. Geez, hate hearing that but if it gets you better.... Poz vibes, thoughts, wishes, everything else, bro'! We want you with us for th' long haul!
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shanez, that is quite a journey in life. You have a newborn to look forward to, and that will be a bright spot for sure ... if tiring. I hope pleasing solid food is possible soon. Best wishes for your continued recovery.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
End of week 2 update:
The procedure was what is commonly known as "gastric sleeve" surgery.
Week 1 resulted in 10 lbs lost. Week 2 is an additional 7 lbs lost.
I no longer have to give myself blood thinner shots (a byproduct of my previous blood clots) and I finished my entire course of antibiotics. All have my stitches have been removed as well. I appear to be healing nicely.
So far I have stuck to the diet they gave me. In fact this has been easier than I expected since I have been a little afraid to eat. The lack of calories, while good for weight loss, has made me feel weak and just a bit strange. However, it is getting better with each dietary phase as I add more variety/calories to my diet.
We fortunately have a variety of places, such as Thai & Chinese restaurants, in town where I can get a variety of flavors to help with the diet. It's been weird. I haven't craved anything specifically, just better/more flavor. We also have a place in town called "Bahama Buck's" which is a sno-cone place that has been a real treat through this and helped keep me sane. (A 50/50 root beer float/sour patch kid small sno-cone is a wonderful thing.)
I'm starting to crave a little texture now but I'm a bit nervous about the next dietary phase. I'm told I can have cottage cheese and pudding, which I'm looking forward to, but will definitely ease into it to ensure things go as hoped.
I feel good and my mobility is good. My wife and I are even taking a short road trip this weekend.
More updates to come in the future. Thanks again for all of the well wishes.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
End of week 7 update:
I've lost 47 lbs since the start of this ordeal but have slowed to about 2 lbs/week. 30 more lbs to reach my goal. After that I want any weight I lose to be from exercise and not diet.
My diet is much more free now too. In fact, I simply avoid certain things and will continue for some time. I am introducing new foods slowly to test how if goes. Had ground beef for the first time since surgery and it went well. Absolutely amazing to be full and content from half of a Wendy's jr cheeseburger and nothing else. Also had a half glass of Riesling the other night. It felt weird but didn't hurt. Slow and in moderation is the real key. Slightly overeating hurts less than eating too fast.
Weekdays I eat more strict and leave things like cheeseburgers and wine for weekend treats. I simply don't have any cravings like I did prior to surgery. Still going to wait a bit longer before tackling something like steak though. I have to avoid vegetables with stems. I'm also avoiding sugar and processed carbohydrates as well. Things like pasta, bread, etc.
I've noticed if I eat proteins first I fill up easy but I seem to be able to over eat carbohydrates both calorie and quantity wise without feeling as full or hurting. No wonder I was fat considering I more or less had the carbs/protein reversed prior to the surgery.
Still a month and a half away from enjoying my pipe again. I've decided, when I can smoke, my first bowl will be SPC Plum Pudding SR but haven't settled on which pipe yet. :puffpipe:
It's weird though. Even if I feel like I've overeaten throughout the week I still lose weight. As I go towards to my goal weight I'll have to constantly adjust my diet to make sure I don't lose too much and find that happy weight my body wants to naturally be at. Think I'll pick up some other brands of protein shakes this weekend with that in mind.
BTW, Danon makes a "Light 'N Fit" mixed berry yogurt smoothie that is fantastic and 40 calories less than competing brands. Also it has no added sugar. I highly recommend them. :puffy:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Well done Shane. Sounds like you have everything under control. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.