PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Had 85% of my stomach removed on Friday. No pipe for at least 3 months. I'll post updates on how things go in the future and probably post a gross stitch/opening pic too! :crazy:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I hope you heal quickly and painlessly. I can only imagine that one could be rough.
Oh, and by the way, you should probably send me your tobacco so that it doesn't go bad while you're down... I mean, shelf life dude, gotta think about those kinds of things... :rofl:
But seriously, get well soon....and I'll be expecting tobacco in the mail...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
When I saw the title, I thought " psh, surgery? I would never quit my pipe just for a little surgery...." But then reading your post... yes do whatever you need to, to get better. Take care of yourself and get better soon!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shanez, for a guy who's just been through abdominal surgery, you sound pretty good. Please take it easy. Exert when they ask you to, but don't push too much in your own activities, to avoid set-backs. I hope recovery is as comfortable and soon as possible. Keep us posted. I think your no-pipe schedule is good. Don't fiddle with your health, and you'll be back to a good bowl of blend in due time.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Thank you guys for all of the well wishes.
To make a short story long, here's my story:
My weight has bounced around all of my life. I have pictures of me as a kid, both skinny and fat.
I'm now 44 years old with my first child on her way. I need to do everything I can to give me as much time on this earth as possible with her and I have been unsuccessful at getting below even 240 lbs for awhile.
I don't have diabetic or high blood pressure issues. Yet. This surgery will go a long way in preventing these types of issues.
My heart has permanent damage from a bi-lateral pulmonary embolism I had a few years back. Blood clots blocked my heart from both lungs almost 100%. Not sure how I survived but this surgery will help with this issue as well.
My mother died at age 62 from complications related to MS. My father died at age 65 from complications related to cancer. Mid-sixties is now part of my genetic make-up. Hopefully this surgery will help with that. Dad's weight near the end added complications that I don't want am not going to deal with.
I would be lying if I said there isn't a vanity component because there is. I want to look better as well as feel better. We'll call that one improved mental health. A win-win all around. That being said, anyone who would consider this surgery just for looks needs their head examined. It was not a pleasant experience.
I was out of pain after a couple of days. I might have been sooner but the anesthesia made me nauseous.
Some final thoughts:
Doing well now.
Tired of broth.
Mexican pedialyte rocks!
American pedialyte sucks.
Popsicles are friggin amazing.
Sooooo looking forward to a good protein shake next week (that's when I can start having them again).
Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.