PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I have heard, from a long-time pipe smoker, that the Englishmen could smoke a bowl, and towards the end they could fill up their pipes with more tobacco and not even need another light to get it goin. And they could smoke like that all day.
I tried this once before, when I was new, and it didn't work. Granted, I was walking on the street and loading my pipe at the same time, and wasn't very good at smoking my pipe yet.
Have any of you heard of this as well? Do you think it could work? Might need to get rid of the ash and expose some embers. I would only try this again if the pipe wasn't too warm, well broken in, and not very expensive

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I've never tried it since. Don't know why it popped into my head. I was workin on my car, smokin a pipe. It was a quick job, so I had some time to enjoy the smoke when I finished. Made me think of this blog entry I read
by Neill
and then the 1st comment had a link to an essay
by AA Milne
Seems like most of us are now "pipe keepers" and not really "pipe smokers." Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Times have changed, and perhaps for the better. Those of us who have taken to the hobby of pipes and tobacco truly enjoy it. We don't just smoke for the sake of smoking. We appreciate our pipes and tobaccos much more than guys like Stanley. We spend hours on sites like this, and ordering hundreds of dollars worth of tobacco at a time.
Things were much simpler back then. Can you imagine only smoking OTCs? Only owning one pipe (or just a few)?
Today, most of us have several pipes, dedicated to certain blends. We have cellars full of pounds of tobacco, and many different types of it.
Is one better than the other? No. They just are what they are.
Not sure how I got off on this tangent, but figured I would run with it. My grandpa smoked a pipe (and cigarettes). He had a few pipes, a couple racks (both single and multiple pipe capacity). And I bet most of them were gifts. He smoked a few different OTCs, my dad would buy him special stuff from a tobacconist on Christmas.
Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.