Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
"The news report only half of what's going on! And if to that you add that the news invent half of what they report, then it follows that the news don't exist!" —Quino

Doesn't quite add up, but you do get the point. And that quote is from the 1960's or 70's.

Contrary to many, I didn't really care for the news—I don't even have a telly— till the plannedemic broke out. Now, I do check some sources regularly. Local news to see what's to be expected when going shopping, et cetera; and global news to get an idea of what's unfolding and what one should prepare for in the near future. Better to get worried and a bit (or a lot) depressed than be caught with one's pants down (literally, even) when the goons of the state bang on one's door to come enforce whatever 'public health ordinance for the "greater good/your constitutional rights be damned" the PTB just rolled out'.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I focus primarily on information from a wide range of independent journalists and researchers...with widely varying points of view...both national and international. And then digest it all as makes sense to me.

But I pay little attention to the "mainstream" corporate media cartel. I consider them to be by far the most distorted version of reality...massive conflicts of interest and continually slanted/agenda-driven. They lie continually imo...mostly by exclusion and omission...and often by deceptive editing.

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
We had a local paper that was hanging on by a thread. Circulation was very poor. The pandemic put them out for good. I think people get the information they want from Facebook.

Reactions: BROBS

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I try to get my news from multiple sources and stay updated on the goings-on of the world. Can't stand watching the news though, I'd rather read it. And when it started being all coronavirus doom and gloom I decided to cut back even further on my consumption. Guess I'm a semi-recovering news junkie.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
"The news report only half of what's going on! And if to that you add that the news invent half of what they report, then it follows that the news don't exist!" —Quino
Are you referring to Quino, the cartoonist?

In regard to the above conversation, for my own part I read and listen to multiple news outlets daily, national and international. Most of my information comes from a redundancy between news sources and checking primary sources. If one obscure news outlet says something and the others aren't saying it, it warrants fact checking. Alternatively, it's very interesting that foreign media often do very good reporting on our own domestic American issues which the domestic media fail to giver coverage to (likely intentionally).

I strongly believe that many of the problems we're having aren't due to "fake news" but to the fact that people are often lazy with the information that they consume, and that our educational system doesn't properly teach critical thinking, logic, research skills, and debate (among other skills). It's easy to govern a complacent populace who have little interest in current events, civic affairs, and domestic and international contemporary history. A culture of apathy is runaway and painfully evident at the ballot box: people don't know the issues, don't know the candidates, don't know what the candidates stand for, don't understand (or care) how the issues affect them and others in their communities, and don't believe their vote matters.

I'll abstain from further digression, except to comment that in order to function properly, democracy must be participatory, and effective participation can not be had in a vacuum of information.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I guess I'm an outlier in this group but I read the news all the time or listen to it. I don't own a TV so that form of news isn't an option--but when I do get to see TV it's mostly the amount of commercials that bring me down. I have no patience for them.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I used to read the local newspaper every day but only for the comics and the often hilarious Letters to the Editor. Now that I have an iPad, I access a variety of sources where I can separate the wheat from the chaff. I ignore both social media and hate radio. I do pretty good staying balanced and informed.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.