PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I have noticed since i stopped watching the news my quality of life has improved. Just curious if anyone else feels the same
I only watch economic and business news. In my semi retired state of things, I do a little day trading for fun and I do have a lot of fun with it. My wife on the other hand is a political junkie and always complaining about crap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm an old (literally) news junkie married to a retired journalist, so I can no more stop exposure to news than fly over the moon. However, for months I've realized that hearing the same reportage over and over from multiple sources is neither informative nor healthy, so I try to ration exposure and be selective without getting into a silo, if possible. So called "social media" and talk radio is strictly out, since it is not founded on accountable reportage and never backtracks to correct itself. Newswise, the worst crisis is in local news, with local newspapers going out of business, cancelling Saturday editions, reducing newsroom staffs, and relying more on syndicated material in both print and broadcast media. The daily and weekly newspapers used to be a strong balance to local actors, government and non-gov. That is now weak and in some cases entirely gone. Very dangerous. Local online coverage is more unprofessional and misleading than otherwise. Zero accountability, no fact checking ever.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I'm a citizen of the United States of America, which has always been a participatory democracy. Therefore, it is my civic duty to watch the news.

I do, however, wish the news wasn't so discouraging.
I did my civic duty by serving in the military. And if the news was the news and not opinions i might watch some but I am not right wing or left wing just an hard working American.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The problem with trying to stay informed these days is that you have to watch/read the news from about three or four different outlets, and then you still have to use common sense to piece together the real story and cut through all the spin and BS. Disgraceful. Many “top tier” newspapers’ “hard news” is 100% op ed.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'm an old (literally) news junkie married to a retired journalist, so I can no more stop exposure to news than fly over the moon. However, for months I've realized that hearing the same reportage over and over from multiple sources is neither informative nor healthy, so I try to ration exposure and be selective without getting into a silo, if possible. So called "social media" and talk radio is strictly out, since it is not founded on accountable reportage and never backtracks to correct itself. Newswise, the worst crisis is in local news, with local newspapers going out of business, cancelling Saturday editions, reducing newsroom staffs, and relying more on syndicated material in both print and broadcast media. The daily and weekly newspapers used to be a strong balance to local actors, government and non-gov. That is now weak and in some cases entirely gone. Very dangerous. Local online coverage is more unprofessional and misleading than otherwise. Zero accountability, no fact checking ever.

Yep, I've noticed this and never really thought about it... The local news basically just parrots the big national news sources.

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I moved to this medium sized city in the South it had two newspapers under the same ownership, a morning paper that gave equal reportage to national and world news along with local, and the evening paper which highlighted world and national but emphasized local quite effectively. The evening paper closed twenty years ago, and the morning paper now has no Saturday edition and is sometimes pathetically thin. And this in a state capital. It's co-owned by a chain with the other major metro paper in the state, so not much breadth in perspective.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I hadn't watched the news for at least 6 years. Now I have it on all the time. I switch between CNN and BBC, If I want a laugh and some ridiculous opinions I will turn on Fox for a little bit. While MSNBC does lean left they don't lean a s tight as Fox. I find CNN more in the middle but all three have their faults. I am on my computer all the time so news is in background. If something new shows up I will take a peek it if is the usual I turn back to computer.

The only reason I have it on is for virus info. My 4 kids are out there and I need to know if anything ridiculous happens and I need to call them.

I do find it comical when people state an opinion as fact and then try to get you to believe them as they lie to your face.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Thank you for your service! I think this country needs more people like you.
Well thank you. My family takes great pride in serving every male in my family has served in every conflict the US has had. I lost a great uncle in WW2 and my father lost his battle with Agent Orange after serving Special Forces in Vietnam. The VA took amazing care of him and I am proud to be his son

Status
Not open for further replies.