PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kansasjase

Lurker
Aug 1, 2016
Eastern Kansas
I love my MM country gent and diplomat but everyone knows the stock stems are not great. The general consensus is that I need a forever stem, which I would love. However, it seems the Old Log Cabin isn't taking anymore orders. Anyone heard about this? Are there any other good options out there? I've put a freehand stem on my diplomat but would like to try something like the forever stem for my country gent.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Pipe Makers Emporium also has a good selection:
http://www.pipemakers.org/lucite01.html

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Here's an odd curiosity (is that redundant?). I ordered some cobs and replacement plastic stems from MM over a year ago, or there abouts, and none of the stems fit their pipes...I got some for the Morgan and some for the legend models....they're all too large to fit w/o modification. I never mentioned it here till now.

I have never totally ruined a stock MM stem, but I sure have closed a few of them up while I was learning to smoke and clench. I've also made a few of the tenon areas blow up and expand with overheating.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's more than flash. These seem to be harder than the originals and the circumference is a smidge larger on them all, both filter type and non. I guess the mortises could have become smaller on my pipes somehow?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Buying a replacement stem for a cob is like buying a replacement cap for a BIC pen. Buying a Forever stem for a cob is like buying a sterling-silver cap for a BIC pen. The OEM stems are crap, but the pipes are light. Don't clench hard and it'll last a long time. Then pay the $5-10 for a new pipe.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Paying under a $1 for a replacement stem and getting continued life out of a $7 pipe is worth the investment. Throwing away $6 worth of good cob pipe makes no sense. Do this twice and you save enough for a tin of tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several years ago, I fitted two of my MM cobs with Forever stems, nice acrylic stems with options to designate the length (shorter than stock if you wanted) and in a good variety of colors, conservative to jazzy. Now I understand, that shop is closed. Meantime, I received as a gift a MM freehand cob with a stock acrylic stem, which is much better than the soft plastic ones. On my one remaining plastic stem, I use a softie. I have a somewhat different notion about MM cobs, and Old Dominion cobs, which are not throw-away pipes at all. Old Dominion pipes have reed stems which are durable and long-lasting. MM cobs will often last a long time, especially in a rotation of many pipes, and when you get them broken in, you may feel they are permanent pipes, not disposable. I understand that some pipe smokers need the throw-away feature if they use a pipe extra hard, but for many of us, MM cobs are permanent pipes that we'll value for many years.

greshapa

Lurker
Jun 16, 2016
Pittsburgh
Vermont Freehand has a huge selection of stems, both vulcanite and acrylic. most are only 2.75 a piece and they're pretty easy to fit yourself. you'll need a buffer if you want a nice smooth finish, but its not necessary in most cases

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have Forever Stems for filtered and non-filtered cobs and have these for my filtered cobs as well. These are good until Log Cabin gets back in the game.
Item #: B6

Reg. Price:

$ 12.00

Our Price: $ 9.99

Quantity:

More

Less

Add to Wishlist Add to Cart
DESCRIPTION
New Missouri Meerschaum Replacement Bit

FREEHAND (Black) Non-Filtered Vulcanized Rubber

Bent
This is an Original Replacement Bit For the current Missouri Meerschaum Freehand Pipe*
*The current Freehand pipes feature a metal ferrule on the wooden Shank. This bit will not fit older Freehand pipes that do not feature a metal ferrule.
This is just about as good as a pipe bit gets. It’s made of Vulcanized rubber, and is on par with similar premium bits that sell for $20 and up!
Originally designed to fit the Freehand Pipe, this upgrade bit now fits ANY of the Filtered Missouri Meerschaum pipes! Note, that this bit does not accept a filter, so adding it to a filtered pipe will render it non-filtered.
As frustrating as it might be the fact remains that the bit portion of pipes occasionally need to be replaced. Why? Because we bite them! Seriously, some folks bite harder than others; some pipes hang in the mouth in such a way that the bits are under more stress than others, and lastly for reselling it’s always better to offer the pipe with a fresh bit with no teeth marks.
These Freehand Bits are made in Italy from vulcanite and are non-filtered. These non-filtered bent bits only fit our Freehand pipes, as well as the other Filtered Pipes we have.
Please note that we only stock bits for the current Missouri Meerschaum line.
Here's a video that I shot in 2011 when Missouri Meerschaum made the change to the Freehand pipe and this vulcanized rubber bit that allows it to now fit all of the filtered pipes.
This Bit Will Fit The Following Pipes:
Country Gentleman

Diplomat Apple

Diplomat Kolonel (5th Ave)

Generals

Great Dane Spool, & Egg

Legends

Mark Twains

Missouri Prides

Ozark Mountain

Rusticobs

Washingtons
http://aristocob.com/FREEHAND-Black-Non-Filtered-Vulcanized-Rubber-Replacement-Bit-P664766.aspx

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Freehand stems are ok. Kind of clunky imho. Just right for the Freehand, mind you, but out of place elsewhere.

I didn't NEED replacement stems, but since I was ordering already I added a few for giggles. That they don't fit is more of an oddity than a complaint.

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
I use the freehand stem and it works great for me. I swap it out with several cobs, I'll be picking up a few more.

kansasjase

Lurker
Aug 1, 2016
Eastern Kansas
Thanks for all the feedback. I have a freehand stem from Aristocob on my diplomat and I quite enjoy it. For me the air flow is better than the standard MM bit and more robust, as I tend to clench. I was hoping for something similar for my straight country gent. I know I can straighten the freehand, but I would like to try a lucite bit. JH Lowe looks promising but the lack of any pictures kinda bothers me. I've been stalking pipe emporium for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger yet... may have to just do it.
Has anyone ordered from them for MM pipes? My then tennon on my Gent stem measures 11/32 but they don't have any in that size. I assume I'll have to go a little larger and sand it down?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'll be ordering a vulcanite freehand stem this Thursday. I have wanted to get a forever stem, but found out they were out of parts when I finally wanted to pull the trigger. I looked at the pipe makers emporium, but for one, the website was hard to navigate, and seemed really difficult to order.
I figured all the hard work my cobs put out, usually ten or more bowls a day, they deserve a nice stem. Sort of as a thank you to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.