PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Samuel Gawith's RB Plug.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I never see this one mentioned a lot, if at all on this forum. Apart from those veritable plug enthusiasts Messrs Condor & Weezel, don't recall seeing anybody else ever smoke it. A very old fashioned scented plug, I've always thought & this winter I'm enjoying it more than ever before. Due to the fact I came across two forgotten about jars, in the cellar. One with about 12-18 months on it & the other five years. When fresh, it's always tasted to me like smoking a gingerbread man (not in the biblical sense of course) with some age, it's melded into something quite different & rather delicious!
For the uninitiated, RB looks like this...
image.jpeg
& tastes like one of these.......
image.jpeg

Jun 9, 2018
England
Samuel Gawith's RB Plug.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I never see this one mentioned a lot, if at all on this forum. Apart from those veritable plug enthusiasts Messrs Condor & Weezel, don't recall seeing anybody else ever smoke it. A very old fashioned scented plug, I've always thought & this winter I'm enjoying it more than ever before. Due to the fact I came across two forgotten about jars, in the cellar. One with about 12-18 months on it & the other five years. When fresh, it's always tasted to me like smoking a gingerbread man (not in the biblical sense of course) with some age, it's melded into something quite different & rather delicious!
View attachment 122995
View attachment 122998
I smoke it from time to time and I also get the gingerbread flavour. The reason it might not get mentioned that much is because it isn't available to buy in the USA.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
@Ahi Ka rates it!

I have a plug and smoked a few bowls of it. It’s more mild than I’d have expected, Virginia forward with, yes, ideas of Christmas spice, but quite mild. It’s good but I prefer stronger stuff.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The current US distributor does not import any Sam Gawith plugs, so people here have to buy them from abroad. They were, however, available for a while in the 2000s and I remember my local stockist having a hell of a time cutting off chunks for me!

The clove and cinnamon that seem to be in RB makes it rather unique and I keep a few ounces around at all times.

Last edited:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@Ahi Ka rates it!

I have a plug and smoked a few bowls of it. It’s more mild than I’d have expected, Virginia forward with, yes, ideas of Christmas spice, but quite mild. It’s good but I prefer stronger stuff.
Funny how we all differ, I wouldn't call it mild myself. It's only their Full Virginia Plug topped or cased with whatever flavour they put in.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
That’s an interesting suggestion, but i reckon we can’t have confirmation. If that’s the case then I’d wonder whether the topping actually brings FVPlug’s taste DOWN, instead of adding to it like Perique does in StJames Plug. RB tastes brighter to me than FVPlug, despite visually being darker.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
That’s an interesting suggestion, but i reckon we can’t have confirmation. If that’s the case then I’d wonder whether the topping actually brings FVPlug’s taste DOWN, instead of adding to it like Perique does in StJames Plug. RB tastes brighter to me than FVPlug, despite visually being darker.
Different scents & flavours trick our senses into believing different things I suppose.

Reactions: karam

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Samuel Gawith's RB Plug.
View attachment 122995
View attachment 122998
It’s excellent. It doesn’t taste like ginger it tastes like a Grateful Dead Concert.

• Haha
Reactions: kcghost and mingc