PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I was able to avoid a bad situation today. I took my kids to their elementary school park after classes let out. I had the day off and it's been beautiful out, so I found myself a park bench and let my son and daughter have at it. Occasionally my son would pull me away from my bench to push him on the swing. My daughter wanted me to chase her around a bit. I was in a cheerful mood, so I obliged them.
It wasn't until later when we got home that I realized my Ashton pipe was missing. I've made it a habit these past 6 years to always have a pipe on me, empty or full. It's been a late-in-life safety blanket. When we made it home, I did my usual self-pat down checking for wallet, lighter, tamper, phone...no pipe. I hustle the kids back in the car to retrace my steps at the park. When I got there, my Ashton was nowhere in sight. I asked some of the after-school counselors if they've seen it; no luck. I'm a realist, so I figured someone saw it and claimed it as theirs. That is, until a counselor I hadn't asked noticed I was looking for something.
"Are you looking for a pipe?"

"Why yes! Do you have it?"

"No, but you can find it in that trash can over there."
The pipe gets no respect; not even a $300 Ashton.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's amazing. I don't know which is worse, a culture where possessions are constantly stolen because people are so needy or rapacious for goods or cash in exchange, or a culture where something as clearly crafted and attractive as a pipe can be pitched in the refuse can as waste. What a strange psychology. I'm glad the pipe didn't get far, and that someone knew where it went. Whoever threw out that pipe, that's who I want to sell me a pipe at the flea market. Why I'd give him 75 cents for it, maybe a dollar. Maybe it was someone who barely looked at the pipe, but was afraid a child would get ahold of it and smoke it. There's some sort of story here.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I suspect that the counselor took a bit of joy in telling you that the pipe was in the trash. Well, I'm very glad that you got it back. More important than leaving your pipe, though, are the memories that you've given your children. When they grow up and happen to catch the fleeting aroma of a pipe somewhere, they will think of days like this one, and think of you, and smile.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I'm sure an elementary school playground is the last place anyone wants to find tobacco "paraphernalia." I wasn't angry with that nice lady at all; she was very apologetic. I was mostly upset with myself, not for bringing a pipe to a playground (I had no intention of smoking it while there), but for not being more aware of my things.
Lesson learned...
And yes woodsroad, that is the very thing that got me into pipe smoking. I can be very sentimental at times and I wanted to leave my kids something special when I leave this world. Nothing is more special than suddenly walking into a puff of pipe tobacco.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Nothing is more special than suddenly walking into a puff of pipe tobacco."
We need t-shirts that have that printed on them.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Great story. Glad it had a happy ending as I thinking it was going to take a turn for the worst. Kids will distract you.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
"Nothing is more special than suddenly walking into a puff of pipe tobacco."
Yeah, and there is a group of assholes out there that would claim it's child abuse and want you JAILED for it(and might make it stick in certain parts of the country) ...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I was smoking my pipe today outside Salt & Pepper one one of my favorite NY eateries. This women walks up to me and says something to the effect 'Must you smoke around here' or something to that effect. I cocked my leg slightly and let rip the most pleasing fart that the lady looking in the window next door heard and just carried on smoking! :rofl:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I can imagine the panic you must have felt. Glad it all worked out in the end. :puffy:

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Glad to hear you found it and that the lady was nice enough to tell you where it was. I agree with she was probably thinking of kids getting ahold of it. She could have just let you wonder where the devil it went or berate you about it like some folks would do. Glad everything turned out good.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I was smoking my pipe today outside Salt & Pepper one one of my favorite NY eateries. This women walks up to me and says something to the effect 'Must you smoke around here' or something to that effect. I cocked my leg slightly and let rip the most pleasing fart that the lady looking in the window next door heard and just carried on smoking!
I had to login just to comment on how funny that story was, Simon!!! If it's true, and good god i hope it is, i can only pray that the stars align and i find myself in a similar situation so i can oblige some lucky partisan with a large and voluptuous piece of my...mind? Good form, Sir, good form indeed!
OP, glad all turned out well and you found your Ashton. I would have been PISSED if i lost one of my higher end burners, especially my Ashton, as it is a great smoker.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
It's a no win situation, the ones that think you are crazy for smoking a pipe would REALLY think you where crazy for buying a $300 pipe!
Glad you got it back and glad you had a great day with the kids! This world needs more good dad's.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@layinpipe: Obviously you have never spent time with me! I am infamous for the breaking of the wind in public. Once in London my wife turned around and announced she had no idea who this strange man was as she exited center stage left tottering around in her high heals!

Status
Not open for further replies.