PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A week ago I started seeing the editing tools being greyed out and not available, so I can't embed photos or links. I've checked all my settings for this site, but can see nothing that would pertain.

Any one else have an idea how to fix? I am onna Mac, latest O/S, and the same thing happens on Safaria and Chrome.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just to be clear, the "editing" I am talking about is on the original composition, where all the tools are available. Now, for me, there are none.

Editing after the post has been up has usually been limited to ten minutes, IIRC.

EDIT: This edit applied 3-4 minutes after the post.

And this edit applied 4 minutes after the above, with all tools now available to this tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elric

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
That sometimes happens. You have to tap the little picture of a "gear" and they'll become available again.

Your cursor position will change in your post so be sure to move it or you'll insert a picture in the wrong spot.

Don't know why this happens but it does.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OH, for heavens' sake!! Thanks, shanez. Now it's so obvious I feel like a dolt. But frustration and mystery gone.

Have a nice day!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just to be clear, the "editing" I am talking about is on the original composition, where all the tools are available. Now, for me, there are none.

Editing after the post has been up has usually been limited to ten minutes, IIRC.

EDIT: This edit applied 3-4 minutes after the post.

--
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

are you saying that you don't see this when writing a post?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That was the situation. Shanez nailed it. And now I am in full edit mode, most importantly can add photos and links.
One thing I like is that the style applied to the above can be applied by key commands.

PS Small mystery as to WHY one is able to disable the editing tools; they don't disappear to make more space; they're just disabled. Why?

Reactions: didimauw and Elric

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Didn't know it would go to the top man. Sorry. It will not happen again.

Any idea as to why that toggle is there? It doesn't create space, and seems to only disable the tools, which one is not forced to use!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought the ten minute rule had always existed. I think I remember it from the old site, occasionally clicking back to see if I was too late. I try to proof well before I post, but as you see from time to time, I don't catch everything.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I just noticed when I mouse over the "gear" a "Toggle BB Code" text box pops up.

So if I toggle BB code off and type the code manually what happens is:

1200px-Bearded_man_smoking_pipe-3013924.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Viola. manual vs automatic. That's what the BB code toggle does for you.

That was:

[im g]address of pic[/im g]

without the spaces before the g's.

Toggle the code on and save a lot of effort.

Oct 7, 2016
Is there a pdf of a manual anywhere I can just print out and read?? I like the new site, but I am 100% certain I am not taking advantage of many, if not most, useful features. See how cleverly I used the bold button? See how dumb I am for not intuitively knowing the little gear do hickey unlocked what is probably obvious to most?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh. Mine started with those features enabled, and when I accidentally hit the gear button, they went away, hence my o.p. Glad others have learned something also.

Oct 7, 2016
Heh. Mine started with those features enabled, and when I accidentally hit the gear button, they went away, hence my o.p. Glad others have learned something also.
Yeah, mine somehow toggled off too. Had no idea I hit the gear, thought maybe there was a sitewide reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.