PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skip48

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Hemphill Texas
Cake will make your pipe smoke cooler and if you dedicate your pipes your smokes will be tastier.
I like about a dimes worth of cake in my pipes.When I a, done smoking I let the pipe sit for either a few hours or over night and take a couple of fluffy pipe cleaners double them over and wipe out any ash or left over tobacco. My cake builds quickly and is really hard. I smoke flakes and plugs exclusively and in my expedience cake forms quickly and it insulates my pipe very nicely.
I use the same thing, bend over a pipe cleaner and work it to clean off any loose particles.

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I’m in the “no cake” camp, or at least the “very little cake” camp.

I take a paper towel to the bowl after each smoke, and then occasionally ream with a sharp knife.

Reactions: AroEnglish

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I’m no eating birthday cake either, only steamed broccoli with sprinkles on it, mmm. I just wipe with a paper towel and a pipe cleaner in the stem. As mentioned you will get a cake, but it’s the best kind IMO, thin and strong.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
As an outdoor-only smoker in a windy region, I welcome at least a little cake to help protect against burnout. But I'm not in a rush to build up a crappy one. After each smoke, I like to use the backside of the spoon on my 3-way tool to gently knock off any blobs of unburned tobacco and smooth out the cake that's there, then brush out the ash and soot with a folded up pipe cleaner.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I am currently breaking in a Peterson 303 estate which had been reamed down to bare wood, and also had the 91%ISO+COTTON treatment. Based on my experience with my new Rossi Piccolo which tasted a bit hot and sour until I chose to run some BCA through there, I made a 50/50 mix of BCA and Pegasus. After two carefully smoked bowls, there is a very smooth, slightly glossy layer over the chamber, which is also a touch tacky. (One bowl might have actually done it but I neglected to smoke it all the way to the bottom.)

I'm actually thinking I might just put a little dash of activated charcoal in the bowl and give it a shake, then let it sit for a few days. OR, I might just load some straight Pegasus and let it rip. Not looking for huge cake, but none of my pipes have a dime's thickness, so I feel like I am missing some of the benefits.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I am currently breaking in a Peterson 303 estate which had been reamed down to bare wood, and also had the 91%ISO+COTTON treatment. Based on my experience with my new Rossi Piccolo which tasted a bit hot and sour until I chose to run some BCA through there, I made a 50/50 mix of BCA and Pegasus. After two carefully smoked bowls, there is a very smooth, slightly glossy layer over the chamber, which is also a touch tacky. (One bowl might have actually done it but I neglected to smoke it all the way to the bottom.)

I'm actually thinking I might just put a little dash of activated charcoal in the bowl and give it a shake, then let it sit for a few days. OR, I might just load some straight Pegasus and let it rip. Not looking for huge cake, but none of my pipes have a dime's thickness, so I feel like I am missing some of the benefits.

I cannot explain exactly why it’s so, but a half century of pie smoking has convinced me that it’s best to take a used pipe down to bare wood, and it never hurts to use alcohol to clean it completely.

Then smoke about three bowls, allllll the way down to the last scrap, until there’s that tacky, resinous sort of a cake but not completely a cake.

Keep clean with twisted paper towels and Everclear, but leave that tacky resin.

Reactions: yanoJL

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I cannot explain exactly why it’s so, but a half century of pie smoking has convinced me that it’s best to take a used pipe down to bare wood, and it never hurts to use alcohol to clean it completely.

Then smoke about three bowls, allllll the way down to the last scrap, until there’s that tacky, resinous sort of a cake but not completely a cake.

Keep clean with twisted paper towels and Everclear, but leave that tacky resin.
I'm glad you shared that. I think I've been a little too fastidious with cleaning in my first couple of months as a pipe smoker. My thought was that off flavors were being caused by TAR so I was really aggressively cleaning with alcohol but it oddly seemed to get worse, probably because I wasn't allowing any cake to develop.

Now I realize I was tasting the bare wood when it got too hot. Fortunately, I know to set it down when the flavors go bad so I haven't torched any bowls.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I prefer a thin (dime sized) layer of cake. I ream as required to maintain that. Some of my pipes build cake really quickly, others, very slowly. It’s a mystery.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So you never clean the bowl? You just tap it out and then refill it?
That was for my Grabow year thread. But yes in order to keep the cake that huge that's all I did. These days I just use a folded pipe cleaner inside the chamber, untill it's time to ream.