PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Did Dunhil ever produce straight burley blends? Just curious. I see some VaBur blends, but nothing like a straight burley or burley forward blend. Any reason for this?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I feel that C&D elevated burley to a premium blend leaf, at least for burley lovers. Not so much for Virginia purists. Now the Dunhill line has become the Peterson line which makes some fine burley blends such as 3-P and Irish Flake, but I think these started out as Peterson blends and were never Dunhill. I've always thought that Royal Yacht, though Virginia based, has a sort of burley spin with its flavoring, but of course there is no burley in it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Burley blends were generally the province of OTC's. Dunhill was a supplier of "luxury" products. So probably not what they considered to be their market.
a few years ago I remember trying to join a forum like this and get annoyed by the snobbish looking down upon of burlys.
Back to the original post they stayed in their lane and let other people kick ass with burly instead. ;)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I feel that C&D elevated burley to a premium blend leaf, at least for burley lovers. Not so much for Virginia purists. Now the Dunhill line has become the Peterson line which makes some fine burley blends such as 3-P and Irish Flake, but I think these started out as Peterson blends and were never Dunhill. I've always thought that Royal Yacht, though Virginia based, has a sort of burley spin with its flavoring, but of course there is no burley in it.
I wowwed that because my favorite VA is from C&D. I feel like it's as great as any of their wonderful burly based blends.