PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So this morning I had one of those moments that just stands out as an amazing smoke. I have been steadily working my way through the tin of Full Virginia Flake that rsuninv gave me, and I noticed that some of the flakes are much thinner than others. Some are actually paper thin, and when I rolled them between my fingers they fluff out and look kind of like moss, very thin, light and stringy. Guess I should have taken a picture. Anyhow, I haven't seen anything rub out quite like that. I left it to dry until it was nice and crisp, then loaded up a Hilson chimney.
Pure bliss. The flavor was slightly tangy at first, then gave way to that light hay flavor mid way throught the bowl. It took me a good while to smoke, since I was out in the yard doing some spring clean up, but wow, it was an amazing smoke.
Anyone else come across these paper thin flakes? Is this a normal thing for this blend? If so, count me in to the lifetime club for it.

Jan 8, 2013
Mine's a new one, from the Vintage line on P&C, but man does it smoke nice. And it is incredibly light. I am a terrible photographer, but here's a shot of it.

CAM00397_zps53b4b13f.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
one of those moments that just stands out as an amazing smoke.
Don't you just love it when that happens?! :puffy:

Of course, if that happened every time it would soon lose its impact.
I have encountered those occasional ultra-thin flakes from Sam Gawith too. Whatever equipment they're using must drift out

of tolerances frequently because they lack uniformity. But I kinda like that.

Jan 8, 2013
Fair enough Cortez, although I wouldn't mind a repeat of that bowl right before bed tonight...
Cosmic, I am pretty sold as well. Over the next few months I am going to pick up a few more of these as gifts for people, and maybe snag myself another.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Ive had that happen a few times. Most notably with escudo. I've also had MacB golden extra unexpectedly give me a sublime smoke.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Very nice pipe. I have a Hilson Mastro from the late 70's and it has always been a favorite. I should grab one of those Hilson's from P&C -- that's a pretty good pipe at a very good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.