PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I've smoked Nightcap a few times and it's ok. I keep some around and smoke a bowl every couple of weeks.
I just tried 965 and wow, I like it a lot better. Might be because of my fondness for cavendish, I don't know, but 965 is going into my top 5 blends. :puffy:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It's been awhile since I tried 965, must have liked it because I cellared some. I've never tried Nightcap even though so many like and recommend it. So many blends and so little money ...

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
965 is my "meat and potatoes" tobacco.......I've only smoked a pipe for 2 months so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Reactions: alittleton

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
They're both great smokes but I prefer Nightcap and, in general, am not a big fan of Cavendish.
I do keep some unflavored Cavendish around (Green River Black Cavendish) for my home blends but use it extremely sparingly.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
965 is one of my go to blends. Nightcap is OK, but I can take it or leave it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
If you liked 965 you might want to give Aperitif a try.. it's replaced 965 in my rotation.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
965 is a daily smoke for me. I think the magic ingredient is the Brown Cavendish, which is unique to 965. Nightcap was way too strong (but a 50% mix of Night Cap & EMP is pretty darn good).

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Nightcap is a Traditional Latakia English blend and 965 has Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia.

So Cav makes little less strengh. That's we feel little easy, soft and smooth to smoke.

I like 965 most of times but sometimes after heavy dinner Nightcap make fantastic smoke.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
When I begin smoking a pipe I found the lore and fame of 965 to be too tempting not to try it right away. I remember at the time I was sampling some Latakia blends to understand their general profile.
My open tins at the time, if memory serves, were Red Rapparee, FM on the Bayou, Brigham's English Mixture (in addition to 965). I cellared FMOTB (and later also fell in love with FMOTT), and plan to Cellar RR. I totally failed to understand 965's reputation (to my disappointment). To me it tasted bland and left me waiting for more of something... Anything! I plan to get another tin maybe in year or so to revisit; maybe my palette develops further or something. I
have a tin of Nightcap in my cellar that I plan to try soon so I'm hoping the reputation of that one doesn't disappoint me too (I also have a tin Aperitif in my ever growing tower of blends to try that I already purchased :D).

Status
Not open for further replies.