PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not true. STG could continue producing them under a different name until 8-2021.
But didn't K&K announce the line up, under different names, just last week? Why would STG make them? I'm assuming that BAT, who owns the blends and the right to make them, worked a deal with K&K, which was what was going around the rumor mill as a possibility a few months ago.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My understanding is the BAT doesn’t “own” the blends. How would they? I know of no mechanism for owning a pipe tobacco formula that can be enforced. Even if there is a contractual agreement on a specific blend, a minor tweak and it’s off to the races. Further, the Dunhill blends were made by STG using their tobacco stocks and their processes. K&K isn’t going to replicate that. And did BAT and K&K actually state that they have an agreement on this? It’s all heresay, I believe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Interesting. Of course, a minor tweak and it's off to the FDA. 'Twill be interesting to see if these do show up in the US of A. STG will be able to sell them until 8/8/23 unless they pass the deeming process, which I've been informed is not nearly as expensive as we'd been led to believe, something like $3000 per blend. Nothing for s cigarette company, about a minute's sales, but more daunting for pipe blends since the amounts are so small.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Depending on how specific the hypothetical contract is, it could mean just changing the source of one component. Either way, it’s all conjecture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone's legal department or departments are busy with this too, and with more information. Russ says the name will be discontinued, and I go with that. If the recipes can be licensed out, maybe there's a contract on how soon the licensee can implicitly or explicitly advertise "the premium blends you loved for so many decades." We'll know if and when it happens, I have no doubt. We're the target audience.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Not true. STG could continue producing them under a different name until 8-2021
Perhaps I misunderstood the regulations. I know there are restrictions on introducing new blends at this point. I hope we will continue to see Dunhill blends (Nightcap :puffy: ) in some form until 2021 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.