PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
My local B&M is starting to carry Nightcap, and the owner asked me if he should set aside a tin for me. From what you guys have experienced is Nightcap a good blend or a serious lat bomb.

~Ron

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I prefer a bowl with my morning coffee. It's on the stronger end in terms of the Vitamin N, but it's flavor profile is easy enough for an all day smoke.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ron:
If push came to shove Nightcap would be my deserted isle Robinson Crusoe tobacco for the next 28 years.
Fnord

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Well then with these responses I see no reason to not get a tin, thanks guys.

~Ron

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just bought a tin of this for a revisit. High quality tobaccos - good flavor - but more nic than I care for. Not something I will keep around.

It is a classic blend, however, one every pipe smoker should try.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
First of all, I love nightcap. It was my first Latakia mixture, and I was hooked.

It's funny, I consider myself pretty nic sensitive, things like captain earl's honor blend and even PS LNF get my head spinning, however I've never had that problem with nightcap..

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"a good blend or a serious lat bomb?"
Not sure that these need to be mutually exclusive! :)
I will say that, like Jud, I'm particularly sensitive to nicotine. . . and Nightcap is too "rich" for me, due to the perique. But I can understand why so many enjoy it.
Bob

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
fnord was kind enough to send me a tin of his Nightcap supply last year, and I fell in love with the blend.
The Latakia component and Perique components really serve as condiments here, and the sweetness of the Virginias develop nicely through the bowl. I like this blend most with a little age on it. It doesn't need decades, but a little maturity seems, to me, to make the flavours a little more homogeneous.
-- Pat

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
It was my first Latakia experience as well, and now English blends are about all I smoke, save the rare VA or aromatic. Nightcap still easily ranks as my favorite blend, and I'm pretty excited that it's finally available in bulk like 965 has been.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have tried dozens of English/Lat blends and to me Nightcap is the be-all end-all. No need for me to keep looking as long as Nightcap is available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's as close to a universal favorite on Forums as we'll get with this individualistic tribe of ours. A little advice

on starting with Nightcap. Start with either a smaller pipe, maybe a Group 3, or a partial bowl, maybe half

a medium size (Group 4) pipe, and smoke it slowly, once a day, for several days, to get your footing. I think

Nightcap improves three or four days after opening the tin. At first it's kind of a blast of nic and Lat. Once

you understand how you react to it, you can step it up, if it feels right. Once you get your own measure on

Nightcap, it is a solid pleasure. I'm aging a tin right now, and enjoying 965 and other English blends in the

meantime.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have some left over nightcap from about a year ago. At that time, I felt it to be nic strong and a very full Latakia strength, a little too much for me.
I'm going to try some today, after finding this past year a real love for the 'English' blends.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I see a lot about Nightcap's nic and Lat content, but that's precisely why it's my quintessential English. For me, Lat comes forward no matter how much of it is in there, and with it the promise of a full-bodied smoke, so if there is little or no nic, it feels like the promise was broken. I loved Sutliffe's Bosphorus Cruise at first but after Nightcap it's like smoking air.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
It was the first pipe tobacco I got hooked on. I hadn't smoked any in quite a while until tonight. It will always be in my rotation.

Aug 14, 2012
Not as good as it used to be, but still worthwhile. Careful on an empty stomach. I keep roughly 100 tins, will open one for my next smoke.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just tried it recently and I find it's a great balanced english. It's not a lat bomb, I don't find the nicotine content very high, but apparently it's changed in the last few years and isn't as strong as before. It does burn for a good while whereas I find EMP to be a really quick smoke, but I figure this is why it's early morning pipe and nightcap is the relaxing take your time smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.