PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
This isn't exactly the case. Pipe tobacco has a higher nicotine content than cigarettes for example, but absorption in the mouth and nose isn't as efficient as in the lungs.

And average 1-3 gram bowl of pipe tobacco contains an average of 30-50 mg of nicotine while a 1 gram cigarette contains 10-15 mg of nicotine. However, a cigarette usually results in absorbing about 1 mg of nicotine in 5-10 minutes, whereas a bowl of pipe tobacco results in about 0.5 mg of nicotine absorbed in the span of 45 minutes to an hour.
Not that you’ve given it much thought though.
🤣

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
OP you’re getting so deep in the weeds I feel like you’re gonna get covered in ticks. How many seconds should you hold in smoke for optimal nicotine consumption? Almost seems like you’re trolling. I recommend a c&d burley for nicotine and lots of bowls to figure out what works for you.

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I love pipe smoking for the peace. I focus on my breathe, relax my body and ease into stillness. O combined my meditation with pipe smoking and its been a marvelous game changer.

Since I no longer get a nicotine rush, and since I finally overcame the addiction to feel said rush, I can go 4-5 hours between bowls! Vs needing a nic hit every 20-30 minutes at the most.

I focus on cadence, cool smoke and sipping.

Everyone who "assumed" something about me has the wrong Idea.

I simply pondered a unique question because I don't know how long it takes nicotine to absorb through the mouth as with lungs.

Basically, when I slowly sip and then release the smoke, I just didn't want to release the smoke to soon, or have a better understanding of it.

I'm in a medical field, so this type of research and questions roles around my mind.

From personal experience, I want to say after a few seconds I think your good yo go. Retrohaling is faster.

However

Allowing your mouth to let the smoke wallow out on its own as your mouth is slightly open and you breathe in and out through your nose helps slow cadence and minimize puffing and overheating. Thus the act of letting the smoke sit for however long in your mouth before you sip some back in slowly helps you sit into a relaxed slow smoke as pipe smoking should be.

I love all blends.
Virginia's are very nice
Latakia and Orientals are great

Vertical limit, Bengal slices, nightcap definitely hit stronger, but it's all dependant.

I smoke a
Peterson aran 999
Person 2022 Christmas edition army copper mount
4th generation 1931
2021 brigham poty (pipe of the year)
Chicom jurassic f4
A cheap Capri ($50 cad) that was my first pipe.

I went a little wild when I switched to pipe smoking.

Carry on folks

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum! Please put your location in your Profile.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

I smoke pipes and cigars all day when i'm not busy working and 99.9% of the time get no buzz. Unless i'm drinking whisky with it (like today at Island Lady Cigar Bar in Flemming Island), but then it's not a nic buzz. :P A trip across the street to Longhorn Steakhouse for a big hunk of meat and a couple glasses of water straightens me right out.

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
Most of the blends I've tried don't buzz me out. But this Haunted Bookshop stuff... Dang! Gotta go easy on that one. Pegasus too. Those burleys can pack a whallop. I don't even inhale

jxr182

Lurker
Oct 13, 2023
Oklahoma
I'm with you OP. My mind questions things like this too. I'll do endless reading and research of random studies, for no purpose other than to satisfy my curiosity.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original:

"How long does it take for the nicotine from smoke to be absorbed in your mouth?"

BTW, Welcome! Please introduce yourself in thread for that purpose.

Hello everyone. I hope everybody is having a fabulous day:) I have been reading this forum for days and days, it has amazing information!
I'm incredibly grateful to say that 6 weeks ago, I was able to quit vaping nicotine and picked up pipe smoking instead (I had a SERIOUS addiction, I was vaping 24/7 and at a minimum 120+mg of nicotine daily) I suffered some MAJOR withdrawals for a long time as I eased into the pipe. Today I'm happily 100% pipe baby:)!
Now I have been researching forever... Including reading peer-reviewed studies from pub.md to try and find out how long it takes for all or most of the nicotine from smoke to be absorbed in the mouth/sinus cavity when pipe smoking. I have had no luck.
I've learned about PH levels, how the body will absorb the nicotine, how to smoke a pipe slowly etc., but not my huge question.

To summarize

If you hold pipe smoke in your mouth for 2 seconds, vs 5 seconds, vs 10 seconds, vs 20 seconds before exhaling.
Or, if you retrohale through your nose throughout say 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds ETC.
For holding it in your mouth. Does anybody really know how many seconds it takes to absorb the majority of the nicotine from the smoke in your mouth before your good to release it?
And the same question goes for how long it needs to stay in your sinuses as it slowly passes.
At the end of the day, I take a slow draw, hold my pipe with my mouth slightly open and let the smoke just kinda sit and linger as it slowly goes out of my mouth, eventually I finish with retrohale. I figure the longer the better period. Never the less, I'd actually like to get to the bottom of this. Thus I'd know that after 5 seconds? or 10 seconds? I've gotten as much nicotine as I can from the bit thats in my mouth and its now safe for me to release the smoke before bringing fresh smoke into my mouth.
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help.
No.

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
Other answers have been great.

I hope you have considered patches, pouches, snus, or cope long-cut if you are looking for a good nic hit solution. Pipes aren't it.

There is a way to beef up the nic with pipes, though. Sprinkle some Copenhagen snuff (it's moist) and it may be enough for you. The problem is the up front cost and learning curve.