PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Brigham pipes are awesome. Pretty much the only filter pipe that I personally found actually makes a significant difference without impeding any aspect of the smoking experience. My only beef with them is the two I have had(admittedly their cheaper ones), seem to be pretty weighty. I wonder, are there are lines that aren't like that?

Reactions: seanv and chopper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Nice pipe. I own 4 Brighams, 3 of which have aluminum tenons. I really like the rock maple filters, they work quite well, and the maple imparts a nice flavor.

I’ve heard some griping about them in the past, but I like mine. And the filters get a lot of mileage. While I have several boxes of spare filters, when the one I’m using gets a little dark, I soak it in a vial of alcohol for a day and it comes out fresh as new.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
My first non basket was a Brigham , didn’t know you could tell the year. Off to google I go , thanks for the post, can’t afford a Dunhill right now and my 50th is coming up next August.

Reactions: seanv
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Brigham pipes are awesome. Pretty much the only filter pipe that I personally found actually makes a significant difference without impeding any aspect of the smoking experience. My only beef with them is the two I have had(admittedly their cheaper ones), seem to be pretty weighty. I wonder, are there are lines that aren't like that?
I have an apple from the Klondike line and it's pretty lightweight.

Reactions: seanv and badbeard

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
They have been on my bucket list for years now. I think because no matter what I put in the search for pipes, they always have something for me haha. I should really just buy one already.
My cheap one without using the filter is a great Burley smoker , good draw, briar, stays cool , and though a bent billiard it’s easy to clean, next time I’m stepping up a notch , great pipes…

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
My one Brigham, a Billiard that was a gift, is a fine smoker and part of my regular rotation.
Since I only smoke milder blends, I ditched the piece of dowel that acts as a filter.

Reactions: seanv and mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I bought a Brigham, I'd hope it smoked well without the rock maple insert. I don't like extra accessories to maintain, clean, and replace. I was more interested in them when they were made in Canada.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
If I bought a Brigham, I'd hope it smoked well without the rock maple insert. I don't like extra accessories to maintain, clean, and replace. I was more interested in them when they were made in Canada.

I tend towards this attitude too; however, one thing I discovered about the rock maple inserts is that it greatly simplifies keeping the shank area clean, as it all gets trapped in the insert. You pretty much don't need to worry about tar and funk collecting in there since the insert end seals against the airway and smoke doesn't get into the mortise/shank. When the insert gets funky, you just toss it in a little jar of vodka and let it soak for a day, then set it out to dry and it's as good as new(as mentioned above). I've run the same 5 filters for a year without replacing them. Imagine your briar pipe has a cob shank inside that you can remove.. that's the sort of vibe I get smoking one.

Reactions: vosBghos

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Where are they made now? I went to the "History" section of their site but all the info is blurred and unreadable.