PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Ok, new to pipe smoking. So far, I have only tried aromatics. I hear about a nic kick but am wondering, do you guys get this b/c you inhale? Or is it just otherwise absorbed/ingested? I do a good deal of my smoking either outside or in my car. I often leave the windows up and I still don't get it. How does this occur? Do you have to smoke Latakia or Perique? Not that I WANT to feel sick b/c that sensation sucks. Got it once from a cigar and I was as useless as tits on a hog for half an hour. Lemme have it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hi Dhizzy,

I'm sure you'll get some recommendations for strong tobaccos... Nicotine-wise.

One that will give me a nic-kick in the posterior with my coffee in the AM is:

G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight

There are numerous others.
atsymbol.gif
UncleArthur.. What's that Bear S%#+ in the Woods blend called again?
icon_scratch.png

Billy Bud might be another, and some Burley Blends as well.
:puffy:

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, I get that some blends are much higher in nicotine content but are you guys inhaling? All? Just some? None? I guess my question is how are you getting the kick? Is it intentional or does it just happen? Seems to me you could avoid it if you wanted to by not inhaling and being in a ventilated area?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I was given a sample of Bracken Flake by Baskerville59 and tried it a few weeks back and I just picked myself off the floor yesterday..... Man what a Nic wallup!! Funny part was half way thru the bowl I was like..." no problem....." then "WHAM!!"
I don't inhale, like most pipers, so I am inclined to believe you can still get bit without inhaling.....
Liked the Bracken Flake though.. just have to take it easy!!

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks Rickpal, that helps. I guess I'm a bit of a dork in that it interests me as to how it difuses to the bloodstream. Must be similar to dip or chew and enters the blood stream through absorption in the mouth before exhaling.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The nicotine is absorbed through the mucus membranes of the mouth, and there are two factors that come into play- 1) Nicotine content of the blend (Burleys, especially the dark ones, are high in nic, as is cigar leaf; Virginias, unless heated and pressed for an extended period, tend to be low), and, 2) The pH of the smoke. If the pH is low (acidic), the body doesn't absorb the nicotine easily; if it's high (alkaline), the body will absorb it readily.
Russ

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
for a nic-kick, try nearly ANY of Gawith Hoggarts or Samuel Gawith's plugs/ropes, they will knock you down silly.
Also, Peterson's Irish Flake is known for having quite a kick.

Jul 12, 2011
I love SG blends like 1792 or Bracken for that good AM Nic kick in the pants ;-)
I hear Peterson Irish Flake is good too (still must try this one) but also

like my Peterson UF or Dunhill Flake in the AM as a wake-up call with coffee
No inhale for me

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
You probably get that nick kick from the tobacco your smoking. Most pipe smokers do not inhale. However, the tobacco is absorbed through the membranes of you mouth and some tobacco are a high PH and cause a nick kick. Some tobaccos contain more nicotine than others which is another consideration to the nick kick as mentioned by others.
See GLP Peases explanation of nick kicks on his Q and A's on this site. This piece is very enlightening.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
What Russ said:
The nicotine is absorbed through the mucus membranes of the mouth, and there are two factors that come into play- 1) Nicotine content of the blend (Burleys, especially the dark ones, are high in nic, as is cigar leaf; Virginias, unless heated and pressed for an extended period, tend to be low), and, 2) The pH of the smoke. If the pH is low (acidic), the body doesn't absorb the nicotine easily; if it's high (alkaline), the body will absorb it readily.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
and lawrance that bear sh^t as my wife calls it is Bow Legged Bear and it has a great Nic kick much stronger than haddos for me anyways
and i seam to remember Mr Please saying sumtin about getting nic from saliva being swallowed and getting into your system through your stomach its always smart to eat befor smoking a high nic smoke
another one ya may wanna try is black frigate very rummmy

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
and i seam to remember Mr Please saying sumtin about getting nic from saliva being swallowed and getting into your system through your stomach its always smart to eat befor smoking a high nic smoke
Yep, one night I smoked a rather strong blend with some whiskey on an empty stomach. Next thing I know, hot and cold sweats, and suddenly came the wretching.
It happens and I'm very very careful with the stronger blends than I was that night, lol.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I admit that a nic hit isn't something I seek out. I find the whole experience to be less fun than hitting my gut with a burrito overload.
I'm a nic wussy.
:|

Status
Not open for further replies.