PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Well, I have no idea what is Nic-hit. Could you help me please

if you are asking what it means, it means "nicotine hit"... most have the connotation of head spins, maybe some nausea, as Paulie66 mentions, elevated heart beat if one takes in too much nicotine.

For many ex-cigarette smokers, they look for high nicotine pipe tobaccos. Personally, I have never had a relationship with tobacco before pipes (just 2 months into it) so I look for very low nicotine blends, as I don't want to feel ill from too big of a "nic hit."

I hope that helps
Cheers

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
if you really want to experience nit hit, get a cigarette. hold it between index finger and middle finger. now make a fist. lit it. take big breath couple of times and empty your lung. make sure the fist is air tight, put your mouth on the top of the fist and take strong draw. hold it momentarily and breath out.

i really don't suggest this to anyone. but used to do this to get massive nit hit back in junior high.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
For me there's a fine line in relationship to the "nic hit.' Too much and I feel head spins and queasy, not enough and I'm not "satisfied." But just the right amount really gives me a nice calming effect.

This all depends on the blend. Some blends that are super high in nicotine - I just avoid altogether (esp. GH ropes/twists, etc)

If a guy/gal does happen to OD, sugar products help.

My secret is to smoke slow (just one more benefit to puffing slow) Everyone's body chemistry seems to have a different absorption/reaction to nicotine so YMMV (your mileage may vary) Tobacco reviews.com lists the N strengths of all the blends.

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
lol. internet lingo and all that.

I get dizzy a little, queasy, just feel not great. Almost like you feel before you are going to faint.
Drinking a soda or eating a piece of candy can usually snap me out of it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nic-hit is when you smoke too many consecutive bowls of Gawith Black XX, go to stand up, get the sweats, spins, and nausea, and feel compelled to rip off your shirt and lay face down on the driveway in the middle of winter.
I mix Black Twist XX and ODF 50/50, smoke it in a Ben Wade freehand, and nothing. Tastes great but no illness.

Reactions: rushx9

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've always understood nicotine hit to be the sensation sought for by smokers: whatever it is that makes nicotine pleasurable to them (I've never experienced that); thus, positive, desirable. Contrary to nicotine poisoning, which produces the symptoms described above—now that I have experienced and it's extremely unpleasant.

If I were to compare it to the naval scale for alcohol effects:

One sheet to the wind = tipsy
Two sheets to the wind = mildly inebriated, happy, speech normal
Three sheets to the wind = very drunk, slurred speech, trouble walking, room spinning around, puking, &c.
Four sheets to the wind = dead drunk (literally even): alcoholic coma

I've rated nic-hit as equivalent to one or two sheets to the wind. Beyond that you're in the province of substance poisoning.

Anyway, that's how I have understood it. Maybe it's time to adjust my definitions.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
As a former cig smoker, I think of a nic hit as when you feel a wave of satisfaction and you don't really care if you smoke anymore for a while. A mild nic hit is just satiation. A strong nic hit is what happens when you hotbox a Newport in the high school bathroom! Or load up a chimney of D&R Picayune, or a G&H rope. Sweaty forehead, stomach cramps, strong urge to sit down, room spinning, ears ringing, possibly hearing the (doodoo) brown note playing in the distance... luckily it usually passes fairly quickly, especially if you eat or drink something sweet or starchy.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you really want to experience a "nic hit" like no other, come down here to the heart of tobacco country, go to the service counter at any grocery store, and ask for a Red Oak or Cotton Bole Twist?...

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I was never more than an occasional recreational cigarette smoker -- like a few a week at most -- and gave that up years ago. Only got an occasional buzz from it, after not smoking for a while. I've never yet felt any nicotine effect whatsoever from any pipe tobacco, including supposed nic heavy blends like Royal Yacht which is one reason I like pipe tobacco.

Cigars on the other hand -- I've been downright sick twice from what was supposed to be a mild Connecticut wrapper cigar (a Charter Oak). It really isn't pleasant -- extreme nausea and some spins. A teaspoon of sugar or a few pieces of chocolate and a ton of water generally dispel ill effects of nicotine.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.