PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
I have not yet experienced a nic hit. Please explain tobacco review comments such as - sit down while smoking, fall on the floor, lay you down, etc. What the heck?!
Also, why smoke a high nic tobacco in the evening?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
You will know it when it happens. Nicotine is alot like alcohol. In moderation, it's pleasant and soothing. Too much of it at once is unpleasant. The problem is that a blend that may be too high in nic at one sitting and just right at a different time (full stomach, sweet drink, etc.)
Most people prefer their high nicotine tobacco blends at night because it's relaxing. I love bourbon but I don't drink in the morning (much :lol:) for the same reason.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Also, everyone will absorb the nicotine in their blend at different rates. Due to body chemistry and PH levels some will be able to feel the nic hit very quickly and will need to smoke much slower. Others will have a slow absorption and will be able to enjoy the bowl at a normal pace all the way to the bottom.
Smoking blends with the perfect amount of nic combined with sublime flavors will get anyone ready for bed in no time. I do remember one forum member's wife actually took a picture of him out on the porch asleep with a pipe in his mouth in the middle of the day; pipe still smoking itself!
Blends with high nicotine, often referred to as for the "experienced smoker", or "strong" or "heavy", are best enjoyed with some food in your belly. Just like alcohol if you have an empty stomach you're going to get smashed a lot faster. Spins, vomiting, end of the world type crap. It doesn't feel great, but if you're cautious and not inhaling you'll be able to feel it coming long before you get smashed, usually. :)

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
You might be lucky, dafydd! I'm a terrible lightweight when it comes to nicotine, any blend with more than a hint can knock me for six. (Of course, it doesn't help that I smoke too quickly, but still...)
A wee nic hit is fairly nice - very relaxed, proper time to sleep. I can smoke a bowl and happily lay down on the sofa for the rest of the evening, in a little nicotine stained haze!
But, yeah, too much makes you feel terribly ill, dodgy stomach, spinning rooms, all sorts.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Groovy! I have two things going for me - The wife has no sense of smell and I will not get nic sick.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It could be that you've yet to have a very high nic blend (many pipe tobaccos are low in nicotine) or you may have a high tolerance for it. I find that I am less susceptible some days and more so on others, with no rhyme or reason as to why.
Also, in regards to your second question - personally I like a good nic kick before bed. I know some complain that they have trouble sleeping after doing so, but it doesn't seem to adversely affect my sleep.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Try Peterson Irish flake first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, then you will get "the hit"

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
james, that is just plain mean. lol The poor guy will probably hurl chunks. Irish Flake is one of the strongest blends on the market. If you can smoke that on an empty stomach, then no blend will give you a problem nicotine wise.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
James & Harris - You both forgot to add "in a big ol' Group 6 or bigger size pipe". Why only smoke 1 or 2 flakes at a time....get 5-6 in there.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
A group six filled up with Irish Flake may send you into a permenant state of sleep. :rofl:

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Good try james08. It's been suggested before. Smoked a single flake from a Falcon before breakfast. No go. Will have to try the 5 or 6 flakes a suggested by jgriff.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Not sure why you'd want to but the if you must experience it for yourself, then I'd suggest skip a meal and then smoke a large bowl of Tambolaka or some of the G&H/SG Ropes - preferably the Brown. If that doesn't get you sick, then congratulations, you've won the grand prize.
On the more reasonable side, smoke something like light like 1Q or Captain Black and then a bowl of Irish Flake just to feel the difference that a little nicotine adds to the experience.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
You wanna know what a nic hit is? Smoke a Camacho Triple Maduro. As far as pipe tobacco, C&D Night Train has a good amount of nicotine. Like you, I have a pretty high tolerance for nicotine so there really isn't any pipe tobacco that will bestow upon me a visit from the nicotine monster.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't inhale and dhave never felt a nicotine hit, not even from a full bowl of Royal Yacht. But I can't blow the smoke through my nose, it's just too strong.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The first pipeful of Samuel Gawith 1792. I had a small billiard with a flake and a half folded into it, and a little sweet tea. A quarter in I got a pounding headache, back sweat and that watery feeling at the back of my throat. I didnt smoke again for three days and gave the tin to my tobacconist companero Richard, who could smoke railroad ties with no complaints. I still shudder when I see one of those yellow labels.
Since then, nary a problem from vitamin N intake.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've yet to experience a nic hit from pipe smoking. I guess I smoke slow enough. Not sure.
However there are a few certain cigars that will just knock me on my ass.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I consider myself pretty nic tolerant. Regularly smoke Irish Flake without too much issue. Lately I have gotten in to some new blends and have been enjoying GH Kendall Kentucky which has a nice nic punch to it. I did however crack open a pouch of Five Brothers and try that. While the flavor is pretty flat and uneventful, holy crap that stuff kicks. If you want to see what high nic does, it's cheap and does the job :)

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
my nicotine hits feel like malaria - starts in the arms then if strong hit i feel it hit my legs even the feet - take some pure chocolate pieces ( not typical chocolate bars - ) pure swiss dark chocolate works wonders in 2-3 minutes without it took 20 min to settle down - in summer heat of 90 deg i had sweat form on my arms - nicotine not for me.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
jgriff has it right: you want to get the nic knocked out of you, go for some of the SG Ropes. One is called Brown Bogie. It even sounds bad.
When I was younger, I could smoke plugs all day and nary a problem. Today, I'm a wuss. I guess the years caught up with me.
dafydd, I think if you try some of the Gawith ropes, you'll find one that will at least turn your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.