PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
The 2022-23 NHL season is only about a week away! Granted, the game is a far cry from what it was during my youth (epic fights, horrific goaltending, and no penalties to speak of, unless decapitation occurred), but I still love the sport, and probably always will...at least unless the AI implementation continues unabated, and it becomes visually indistinguishable for a Borg subroutine. But until that day, I am a fan, and I'm always happy for what it means when the calendar flips to October.

Growing up in LA, being a Kings fan was comparable to being sexually intimate with a radioactive garbage disposal covered in active tear gas grenades (at least according to my Rabbi). But those days are over--now, I liken it to the same, but with reduced radioactivity. I don't anticipate my boys amounting to much this year; their special teams remind me of a Three Stooges skit, and they still have the "Beavis and Butthead" offense (we're never gonna score!) that they've had basically since they shipped Gretzky off to St. Louis in '96. But I always said that after they won a Stanley Cup, I'd be released from my years of frustration, and not need to care so much anymore. Sure enough, that's precisely what happened, and here I am, with only a few grey hairs in my head. Hell, they even won a 2nd one. Funny how liberating it is.

So, whether you're just a casual fan or a face-painting Canuck clutching a Labatt Blue and screaming at the ref on TV (hey, at least Dan Marouelli has long since retired!), I look forward to hearing some good hockey chat on here. What's your team? How optimistic/pessimistic are you about the upcoming season? Who do you have winning it all in June? And last but not least, let's hear those grievances! Don't make me be the only complainer here, dammit!!

P.S. Home teams are supposed to wear whites, road teams are supposed to wear dark colors. PERIOD.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Being a Detroiter, the Red Wings ("Dead Wings") have always been my team. I started watching when we had the Bash Brothers (Probert and Kocur) protecting the Captain (Steve Yzerman is a king) and then this Russian wizard named Federov (who was considered a traitor when he left for the Ducks).

Watching the rivalry with Colorado (McCarty and Lemuix finally buried the hatchet and engaged in hosting replays of the rivalry and a documentary of it in various Detroit venues), the Russian Five (I've cooked for Larinov), winning 4 Cups, and some very talented players has been fun. But my biggest gripe is not naming the new arena Gordie Howe Stadium.

There are other gripes, I'm sure,but I don't follow hockey like I used to. I doubt the Wings will hoist the Cup this year; but at least we will still be better than Toronto.

Last edited:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
but at least we will still be better than Toronto.
Hey man, why must you choose my thread to incite a riot? rotf

Back in the day, when the Leafs were in the Western Campbell Conference, that was a pretty big rivalry. I remember the 7 game series back in '93 was particularly grueling, but everyone mainly just wanted Clark and Probert to fight.

I hear ya, though...the dominance they showed in the 90s and 00s was impressive. I do recall looking at the Kings' schedule back then, and shuddering inside whenever I saw that red wheel and wing logo. Whether the game was at the Forum or the Joe, it didn't matter--that was a virtually guaranteed loss for the Kings. I bet they partied all night after they eked out the rare tie.

I know, Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom etc., but your best IMO has and will always be Datsyuk. Puck handling and speed that rivaled Pavel Bure, no joke.

Good luck this year!

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I’m a Blues fan and I sincerely miss the Central Division rivalry with Detroit and I’ve always considered the Kings to be our West Coast rival. I thinks it’s because the games were always good and we seemed to be evenly matched through the years.
And I will say that it was amazing to get that 50 year old monkey off our backs and the parade was something I will NEVER forget. I have some awesome video and photos of that experience that my entire family will always cherish.

My girls touching the cup and me getting ready to hug Steener in the background!

374F9310-310F-4CAB-9661-E7ADAA1BE0E8.jpeg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I’m a Blues fan and I sincerely miss the Central Division rivalry with Detroit and I’ve always considered the Kings to be our West Coast rival. I thinks it’s because the games were always good and we seemed to be evenly matched through the years.
And I will say that it was amazing to get that 50 year old monkey off our backs and the parade was something I will NEVER forget. I have some awesome video and photos of that experience that my entire family will always cherish.

My girls touching the cup and me getting ready to hug Steener in the background!

View attachment 172556
Very cool! I was rooting very hard for you guys throughout the '19 playoffs, frankly way harder than I ever root for a non-Kings team. I guess I felt some kind of sympatico thing--both teams entered the league the same year, and had prolonged stretched of futility, with minimal playoff success. I felt you guys deserved to win that year, and I'm glad you finally did get there. I was in Santa Fe, NM for a concert back in 2018, and I remember chatting with a Blues fan briefly and specifically mentioning that I hope they finally win it all. I hope he remembered my words the following June!

Blues and Kings are a pretty even matchup. You guys have always been pretty tough. I'll never forget the first round in '98, though...bad memories! Roman Turek sure was a stingy one.

P.S. Sorry we had to sweep you in '12! I would've rather had it been the Canucks that got the broom job, but Quick was on a mission that year, much like your #50 three years ago. Best of luck in pursuit of #2!

Reactions: jwesthurl

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Penguins fan here, and if the last half decade is anything to go by, we should do exceptionally well in what is a very competitive division, only to get washed in the first round of the playoffs. I love my team and hate to sound negative, but it's hard to not see a pattern. Hopefully the pickups made during off season shore up our blue line.

Reactions: Servant King

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Me and the wife have relocated so many times with the Coast Guard over the past 20 years it's been hard to keep up with our home sports teams. (She grew up in NE Iowa and I grew up in SE Texas) Since settling down in Ohio we've both become Browns fans, but we have yet to settle on a hockey team.

As one might imagine, winter sports were a hard sell along the Texas Gulf Coast, although roller hockey was a pretty big deal in the 90's. I was one of the weird kids that enjoyed hockey but I just haven't kept up with it as I'd liked to.

Guess now that were settled down we're finally gonna have to pick us a team and start watching again.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I’m a Vegas fan which means I don’t know jackshit except which side of the bandwagon to sit on.

Also, our “gold” jerseys are trash. Mustard puke baby shit yellow.

But I’m all in.

Here’s the drawing for my tattoo
View attachment 172560
I hear you on the jersey point. However, I don't think there's any dethroning (no pun intended) these:

gretzky.jpg

I think the logic here is, teams paralyzed by hysterical fits of laughter are easier to beat. Sounds good in theory--didn't really work in practice. cray

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The Blues,Ducks, Cannucks, Coyotes, and Lightning had some pretty atrocious sweaters too. I always liked the Kings' yellow and purple style and think more teams should have a black sweater for some games (a black Blackhawks sweater is sharp).

I have a small collection (including the ugly Blues with red stripe, Labatt Blue, and Detroit Red Wings in a Detroit Cougars stripe). Being a large American, hockey jerseys are comfortable.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Excited for the Pens this year. They kept some great players, that was my main concern with the team. Hope Nylander gets some time in too.

The Pens usually have a great season, and we look forward to it every year.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
Me and the wife have relocated so many times with the Coast Guard over the past 20 years it's been hard to keep up with our home sports teams. (She grew up in NE Iowa and I grew up in SE Texas) Since settling down in Ohio we've both become Browns fans, but we have yet to settle on a hockey team.

As one might imagine, winter sports were a hard sell along the Texas Gulf Coast, although roller hockey was a pretty big deal in the 90's. I was one of the weird kids that enjoyed hockey but I just haven't kept up with it as I'd liked to.

Guess now that were settled down we're finally gonna have to pick us a team and start watching again.
There’s a team two hours south on 71 that will be a lot of fun to watch in a year or two!

Reactions: Streeper541

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Caps picked up a new goal tending team, a big issue the last two years.
Still lots of questions - Backstrom and Wilson are uncertain (Backstrom probably need to retire). We can't win without Wilson, he's my favorite player.
And, the march will continue for Ovie to break Gretsky's record. Personally, I don't think he will - an injury will take him out of that race.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Penguins fan here, and if the last half decade is anything to go by, we should do exceptionally well in what is a very competitive division, only to get washed in the first round of the playoffs. I love my team and hate to sound negative, but it's hard to not see a pattern. Hopefully the pickups made during off season shore up our blue line.
Yeah The Pens either win it all or take a dump right away, hahaha. Either way, GO PENS!!!!!