PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
I have a question for everyone. Since I am new at smoking pipes. I have tried Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I liked CH the best. I did get to try a bowl of Lane 1Q I did not like it very much nor would I buy it. Now for the question. What should I try Next? What about Mississipi River, Frog Morton Cellar, or any of Dunhill's?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"What should I try Next? What about Mississipi River, Frog Morton Cellar, or any of Dunhill's?"
Yes

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Go for Dunhill.. They are some of the best baccy out there.. My favourite is Royal Yacht, but I guess a worldwide favourite is My Mixture 965

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill Mixture 965 as recommended in another post might be a good one. It's widely popular. It's available in a tin or in bulk to save a little money.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have tried Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I liked CH the best.
The suggestions you've received so far are for blends with Latakia ... a very different beast from CH and PA.
Not that you shouldn't try them, just be prepared for an "apples vs oranges" experience.
As for something a little closer to where you are now:
Classic Burley Cake

Chatham Manor

Anglers Dream

Briar Fox

Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut
Good luck and let us know how it goes! :puffy:

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Hearth & Home Signature Anniversary Kake. Nice and easy smoking.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
As for something a little closer to where you are now:
Classic Burley Cake

Chatham Manor

Anglers Dream

Briar Fox

Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut
I have heard of Classic Burley Kake but not the others.
Thanks

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I've also tried the blends you have been suggested, however did not like them much. That's not to say you will dislike them, but I'd go another way: I'd send you over to land of the VaPer (Virginia meets perique).

1) Hearth & Home anniversary kake for easy of use and sweet flavor.

2) Samuel Gawith St.James flake (higher concentration of perique).

3) GL Pease Haddo's Delight.

4) Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake (more mellow on the perique with a nice introduction to Orientals).

5) Peterson University Flake (gentle fruity introduction to Burley).
That's my current rotation, and I've found them all very easy to enjoy and discern between and comprehend the flavor profiles.
I'd not buy multiple latakia blends at once before tasting one, as it is either hit or miss with your palate.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After reading a lot of suggestions here is what I think I should order next payday:

Hearth & Home Signature Classic Burley Kake

Hearth & Home Signature Anniversary Kake

Orlik Golden Sliced

Dunhill Early Morning

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orlik Golden Sliced is excellent, but it is a subtle taste and requires some acquired appreciation. Smoke it slowly and give it a chance. You'll come around to it, I think.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Yes to all of the suggestions! I'd try the Dunhill line first, then the Frog Morton. You'll soon be able to figure out what you like.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I really only need one blend representative of each category, and over the years have settled upon Nightcap as my English, MM965 as my Oriental-English, and DNR or Escudo as my VA-Per. I'm not particularly in to aros, but Erik Stokkebye's 1931 Flake fills my bill for that. It's strong, smokes cool and dry, and the honey top note and room note is not cloying and doesn't detract from the natural taste of good-quality tobacco. Lane's BCA is a go-to aro, and recently Cult Blood Red Moon has struck my fancy, but I rarely smoke them without mixing with either Nightcap or DNR. I'd rather quit smoking altogether than smoke Prince Albert, Carter Hall or any other OTC with the possible exception of Amphora (Brown or Red), and those only in desperation.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
+1 for Cobguy's input, and I like the selections you have made.

Some flake cut Virginia is fun to experience after having smoked ready to pack tobacco and essential to your final grade. :D

If you did indeed find the sweet nutty taste of Carter Hall to be to your liking, I think you will find that the Virginia based aromatic blend by C&D called Autumn Evening would be a welcome addition to your shelf and bowl.

It is not an additive laden or goopy sort of aromatic and has a tin note that is perhaps too cloying for some, but certainly makes for conversation. The taste is great and the cut or presentation of the tobacco is ready to load.

Nicotine level is said to be mild to moderate, I think, but I find it to satisfy in that department.

I compare it to Classic Burley Kake, but VA based and more 'aromatic'.

Status
Not open for further replies.