PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Still on a quest for that minimally hay-like, non-aro Virginia flake that will satisfy my sweet tooth. Just ordered some Cut Virginia Plug, and we'll see how it compares to Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue, and Klondike Gold (a current favorite). Thanks for the recommendations, all!

Dec 24, 2012
The CVP is very tasty and, in my view, compares really well to Klondike Gold. Keep in mind though that the KG has some age on it, but I do believe that CVP will taste very similar to the KG with comparable aging.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
CVP is one of my go to first of the day smokes. I have been smoking it since 2001 and it has always been a very consistent performer. It is similar to the Klondike Gold, Capstan Blue and Dunhill flake, nice and sweet and no bite. It ages incredibly well and turns jet black after a decade or more. If you like the Gold I am fairly certain you will really enjoy CVP.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
futureman, I find McClelland's VAs to be among the sweetest with very little hay-like flavor (are you looking for hay-like flavor or looking to avoid it?). Matured VA 22 is very sweet, as is Blackwoods Flake and the Christmas Cheer series, especially when aged a bit.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Hi pitchfork. I like McClelland's stuff. But I find that red forward blends tend to bite me (not as bad as Harris, perhaps, but there is often some discomfort). Rattray's blends are more tolerable for me on this score. But (for example) Blackwood's Flake can really torch my tongue if I'm not careful. Is No. 22 a red-forward blend?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Is #22 a red-forward blend? I don't know, but I suspect there is some in it. The leaves are well aged and very sweet and dark (they may have started out red, though). It really smells like clove essence has been dropped in the tin, but it's just the very mature VAs doing their thing as they age and sweeten. Since it's somewhat similar to Blackwoods, it's probably best to avoid it.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Been meaning to try this as well but somehow always forget when I order. Seems to be a pretty popular pick.
Note to self: When trying to order Stonehaven at the speed of lightning don't forget CVP.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I very recently tried CVP for the 1st time and it has earned a place in my rotation, usually around the second pipe of the day. I enjoy the sweet, light floral quality it has, as opposed to the more bruiser like McClelland Virginias, which seem better suited for later in the day smokes.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I believe Mac Baren vanilla flake is mostly Virginia? Might not fit your criteria but should satisfy a sweet tooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.