PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I enjoyed reading the information posted in your link. It is interesting to see the steps a pipe goes through during creation.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
as the others have said, wow! thats a dandy pipe and the article was interesting too, dont really know much about pipe making so it was pretty cool.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Philobeddoe, this is my first by Wayne. We've exchanged emails for over a year and we finally met in person at the Columbus show this past August and started planning.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
BV - gorgeous pipe, fantastic ring grain and tremendous slides. I saw a Rolando Negoita last week somewhat similar in shape but in a reverse Calabash format. The shank here looks like there's room.
hp

les

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What a fantastic addition to your collection. You and Harris are winning me over on the black stain pipes. I love the tenon/stem inlays, car/motorcycle mechanicals have a similar alignment system (timing chainrings, etc). I find that a very appealing detail on a pipe (stashed in my memory for the day I do a commission!).
DSC_0386-650x430.jpg

DSC_0400-650x430.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for posting the pictures, Al.
When it came time to stain, Wayne asked what I thought and I suggested the black over brown and he said he was thinking the exact same thing. I think it works well, especially with the alignment dots.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Great Looking Pipe. I wasn't to sure about the big white washer at the shank end until I scrolled

through to the last photo's. Very Nice!

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
WWWWWWWWWWOW!!!!!!! I drooled too...

My coin jar is almost topped. This year I'm hoping to land an American Artisan pipe.........

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wow. That is just amazing.
bigvan,
1) How do you find all these guys?

2) How do you decide to actually go with a carver?

3) The big brands have the reputation and history, have you ever decided not to get a pipe from a carver you found and that you did like their work?
Sorry if this is a bit like an interview. I am just always amazed at the pipes and carvers you find.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I usually favor traditional shapes, to the exclusion of free-hand or moderns. But gosh, this is lovely.
The three-dimensional curve of the rim of the bowl is just engaging as can be. Simply a wonderful pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What a great addition bigvan, simply stunning. I love the blast, the shape, the stem work, everything about it. Looks like I will adding Wayne to my list of American artisans to collect. Please let us know how it smokes when you get it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Eaglerico,
1) How do you find all these guys? Pipe shows and the internet
2) How do you decide to actually go with a carver? In almost every case, I've first met the carver, talked about pipes, seen and handled some of their work before I've bought their pipes. In a few cases I've been so impressed with pipes I've seen on a carver's web site that I'll send them an email, chat pipes and then eventually place an order.

3) The big brands have the reputation and history, have you ever decided not to get a pipe from a carver you found and that you did like their work? Oh sure. Unfortunately some guys just aren't ready for the big time. But about 5 years ago, I met Joe Nelson (Old Nellie Pipes) at the Chicago show. It was his first show and I could tell his engineering was GREAT, even though some of his pipes didn't look that great. I did buy one of the less horrible looking ones because I had a feeling this guy was going to be HUGE. To this day, he practically BEGS me to give him that pipe back because he's so embarrassed of it. But it's like owning an early Clapton recording. It's kinda raw and sloppy, but what collector wouldn't want it?

Status
Not open for further replies.