Newer Piper... Where Do I Go from Here (Blend-Wise)??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Thank-you, Alex.. I started doing something similar to help me build my list(s). I'm following a good handful of veteran pipers whose reviews/judgements/opinions I trust. They're generally on the same page, but it's interesting when they have different views on the same blend. But it gives you a really good idea, and they're usually pretty informative. Makes ya wanna try 'em all lol!! That's ok, though. Fall is here, and Winter is coming. Perfect seasons for learning.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Watch out, I probably have 60 4oz jars of blends I've tried! Don't toss things, I've come back to things I thought I hated to love them later.

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Alex.. I would NEVER toss any tabacky lol!! And yeah, I understand aging tobacco from my many years of cigars. I also know that this is a totally different animal. I'm getting ready to try Opening Night, which will be my first straight Va. Had Sunday Picnic for the 1st time earlier today. It was nice, but a tad mild (light medium-medium) for me. Also felt that it needs more age. Fun stuff all around, though! It's how I found my Top 10 cigars. And of course, it's an ever-changing list! :D

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I like Opening Night, hope you do. If you do you might try Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake (& their Navy) - it's sweeter and maybe a little smoother than Opening Night

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
It's gonna be like playing spin the donkey starting out
But , yah , the forumites hooked me up with good reviewers who know their stuff

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Alex, I do like Opening Night. Surprised at first, but then again, I'm a tobacco-guy. And yeah Bluto, just like I had to do with cigars. Ya gotta try everything, cause reviews are subjective. That being said, I've favorited several reviewers (on TR) who know their stuff (and seem to have similar tastes). If I don't like something initially, I don't have a problem cellaring it for future bowls and 2nd/3rd/4th attempts. :D

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
New Tin Update:

I've really been liking Opening Night. Gave Sunday Picnic another try, and it wasn't for me. Again, these are all new to me. I've always been Nightcap or Nightcap-ish OTC, along with Holidays blends. Anyway, I put a new order in for the following tins. Would love your thoughts. Thanks all!
Plum Pudding Special Reserve

Three Nuns

Three Nuns Green

Three Nuns Yellow

Escudo Navy Deluxe

Samarra

Union Square

Kramers Cary Grant

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Late answer, and I'm a beginner as well, but I'd like to add my opinion not only for the OP but for all beginners (like me and the OP): try all strains of tobacco, blends with all percentages of the most diverse tobacco types.
It's what I'm doing to discover the nuances of each tobacco strain, i.e., those that I like and those that I like less, and their different flavors and aromas. I think that this approach can help you train your palate too. Latakia for example has a very distinct flavor and smell, and this kind of thing can help you differentiate each type of tobacco and their characteristics.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have to design your own exploration. Don't try to do too much at once. It's a gradual process. Do a lot of "window shopping" on the tobacco pages of online and catalog retailers, to learn what's out there. Try popular versions of specific categories -- English, Virginia, Virginia-Perique, burley blends, Balkan -- and some of the different tin, bulk, and even bag blends. Buy in small quantities. Don't shun pouch blends, since some are good. If you don't like a blend, put it in a jar and try it again in a year or two.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Thank-you for the reply, and suggestion. What gives some tabacs a "cigarette-like taste"? I want to stay away from those, along w/the "sour-tasting" stuff.
Peterson's Irish Flake did that for me. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.