PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pipesmoker Dave '62

Smoked pipes since '62, Quit mostly in '88 for a baby Cockatoo, wife said when I hit age 70 (bird agreed!) could do pipes again. Three years became involved with purchasing and love most the collection I have of Preben Holm pipes since his work at age 16-17 and on. All he was engaged in over periods I have now around 100 or so. Would like to share and obtain information if possible from others on this subject, am kind of past the trees/branches/trunk and into the roots and weeds? Finally got to explore this amazing site, will see what comes of it.....Best to All, Dave.

P

Pipesmoker Dave '62

Hello Dave! Preben Holm carved some interesting pipes.
Hi there Guy!! Thanks for the comment. Yes he sure did, it's like when I work on one he is there over my shoulder...ever been there? He was a dynamic structural and functional artist...like Nielsen and a few other remarkable makers....Brakner and Becker come to mind? Bye for now, Dave.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are some sweet birds. A friend's used to climb up my arm and kiss me, and others. As long as you don't blow the smoke at it, I think it will be understanding. My Maine-Coon-like rescue cats seem to enjoy the ambience of a pipe, probably the relaxed mood. Welcome from central North Carolina.

Reactions: UncleRasta

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. I have never owned a Holm pipe, but I have owned a number of his top pupil Poul Winslow pipes. Every one I owned was a hand made from E - B. My B could have been an A the grain was so good. I sold all my Winslow's because of the acrylic stems. I only smoke high quality German Ebonite stems now as the acrylic is too hard on my teeth.

P

Pipesmoker Dave '62

wellcome from Balearic Islands
Hi Gus, I love the islands, used to ride my 250 XLHonda all over Sanibel Island, Florida....but that was 45 yrs ago!! Wil have to look and find out where you are..happy smoking. Dave.

P

Pipesmoker Dave '62

Welcome from Florida. I have never owned a Holm pipe, but I have owned a number of his top pupil Poul Winslow pipes. Every one I owned was a hand made from E - B. My B could have been an A the grain was so good. I sold all my Winslow's because of the acrylic stems. I only smoke high quality German Ebonite stems now as the acrylic is too hard on my teeth.
Hi, Lived in Florida 1970-82 at NASJAX, Pensacola, and Ft. Myers/Cape Coral. Recommend you quit cigars and start using nasal snuffs...tasty and better for hemaglobin!! Also, don't use your teeth!! But agree with you on the stem comfort, quite a difference....Depends on what makers/eras you are after. Thanks, Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.