PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Mayday Mayday!

My pipe smoking was going great. I was nailing down some big favorites and at least a couple per category. Last weekend and Mon - Tues I was hitting my English blends hard trying to rank my top 3 favorites already opened so I could push the others to my non rotation bin. I had purchased a few more samples like Quiet Nights and Chelsea Morning that I was going to try. Then I had to go on a business trip last Wednesday. Before I left I cleaned all of my pipes with vodka and pipe cleaners. I then took a cob and Grabow with me to Dallas with some OGS and Balkan Sasieni because they were opened tins. Others are in jars.

Well I did not get to smoke due to always inside or around people. So did not smoke Wed or Thur. Friday afternoon I tried Sasieni and it did not taste good. Then my OGS did not taste good Saturday. Then Sunday I tried my Amphora Virginia and it did not taste good. I have noticed my salivary glands are really producing a lot and it has a salty taste. If I drink water out of a bottle (Ozarka) it taste salty. I do not know if I am having withdrawals or what but my good tobaccos are tasting bad?

I found this article and am hoping if I lay off the pipe this week things will get back to normal next week.

Wish me luck because it’s going to be a bummer if I found it, only to lose it due to salivary problem.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I hear ya. Latakia is my friend too.
I've wondered if the experience at the end of it all, is rather a process of slowly smoke-curing the meat of the tongue over a period of "X" number of years...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like how I began to lose my taste for latakia or your pipes' mortises need a good cleaning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd take a few days off and then start back with the simplest Virginia or burley you have on hand, nothing with Latakia or Perique. If this still leaves an off taste or aftertaste, take a few more days off, and start back with one bowl a day. It could be dietary or some minor bug. Leave aromatics alone for now.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Taking a week off then starting back with only Edgeworth Ready Rub match, Carter Hall, and Amphora Burley for a week.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I think I will have to agree with the others, you might be getting fed up of the latakia.

COVID might be possible, but when I had it I just lost my taste all together, and couldn't feel a thing when I smoked.