PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

argmooner

Lurker
Sep 27, 2022
Can anyone help me identify some of these pipes. It's a far drive to get then and want to be sure I want them. Thanks very much for any info View attachment 173075
I have received these now .
It ends up that the two up front on their own stands are Sandors. A man whom used to sell his pipes in a park. The two pocket pipes are ¹ a Burlington arcade and ² a rolex (fresh) . Not sure how desirable either are . The two lined pipes are (yello bole.) As one ofnour friends on here has pointed out Thank you ? Oh! And the Kayeoodie (fine line) . Not a bad haul for a guy whom started on pipes 2 months ago.
Ver glad to learn more . If anyone knows about this man Sandor ,or, if they are valued I'd appreciate any info. Be Well

Last edited:
Reactions: Elric

argmooner

Lurker
Sep 27, 2022
I can't call these out by brand, but two I notice and somewhat recognize. At the right of the photo is a generic type of "vest pocket" pipe with a stem that folds around to make it more compact and to protect the stem from getting snapped in your pocket. A number of pipe makers produce these, and I think they always sell pretty well because they've been around for nearly a century. I tend to suspect that they are not great smokers. Many people own them, but few claim to use them on a regular basis; they seem to be a sort of popular novelty pipe. Usually the chamber on these is fairly small.

The upper pipe in the pair of pipes the case is meerschaum-lined. This was a popular pipe design in the fifties, and these are still made and sold quite a bit, though many prefer a pipe made entirely of meerschaum, the carved white sea-foam material.

The two pipes in the foreground on the little stands seem to both have plateau on their brims, the rough surface that occurs naturally in the grain of some briar. This is usually regarded at a plus, an attribute.

All of the pipes look reasonably clean and well-maintained, but without being able to inspect them in person and read the stamping, I'd look for a pretty good deal on the lot, and/or more information about the stamping and their condition. The pipe on the front row to the left has a stem that is akimbo. It might just be straightened by hand or it might need at least minor repair if it is a screw-in stem.

If the price for the lot is especially good, and you really like the looks of the pipes, it might be a fair gamble. Otherwise, I'd ask a lot of questions and look for an especially fair price.
Hi mso489 . Thank-you very much for your assessment ! Well done . I thought I remembered answering your post already but now that I'm back I'm not so sure. Be well.
Most of the pipes are working out well . Mostly clean and have pipe stands galore from same lot.
Please let me know if you would like any stands . Free . We'll, maybe just price of shipping from staten island ny . Be well.

argmooner

Lurker
Sep 27, 2022
Looks more like an Orlik to me.

Nothing there that that I'd pay over $30 for.
Thanks Craig , I havent been around for a while. The woman whom I purchased this from gave me many other things . Maybe fifteen pipe racks and all her dads nick nacks from the sixties on. Was quite great being a beginner . All pipes smoked well and I'm thinking of painting up some of the racks to be a little more presentable or displayable . Picked up a few corn cobs amd they all do me well being that I'm bouncing around in a truck most days in New York . With the pipe in my mouth I'm usually just waiting to get into the woods somewhere.
Be well everyone and thanks for all the info and entertainment.
'Mooner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The original post on this has already been resolved long ago, I assume. However, for other newbies who may be looking at lots of pipes, I'd advise caution.

Part of getting into pipe smoking is a steep learning curve, learning pipe brands, shapes, materials, sizes, filters and non-filters, and so on.

I'd highly recommend buying one pipe at a time, and looking at dozens of pipes in buying just one, to learn all about them and learning how to winnow down your choices. Also don't buy a pipe every week. Learn to smoke each pipe over several months or more before buying another.

Buying a group of pipes, a lot, you are prone to get one or more that don't suit you, and worse, you don't learn as much about the pipes as you could buying them one at a time, and struggling more deciding what you like and learning about the individual pipes.

The more homework you do, and the more you sweat it, and the more you begin to enjoy that process, the more you will learn, and the more satisfactory your experience will be. You will always learn by your mistakes, but you'll feel better if you don't compound your mistakes by buying too many pipes at once.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Thank you MSO, That is exactly the info I was looking for. I am purchasing a few pipe cradles and multiple pipe holders from a great woman who's father smoked from 17 till the age of 85. There are much more pipe stands than I will need ,but I am going to find a way to get them to people whom need or want them. She's giving me the lot for a song . I just have to get there . I am just beginning to smoke pipes of late . Much thanks to everyone for the welcoming to this forum . Be Well .
PS. If anyone has any ideas about distributing some pipe caddies let me know . View attachment 173219
I wish I had your problem of having too many pipe stands!

Reactions: Browny