PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't call these out by brand, but two I notice and somewhat recognize. At the right of the photo is a generic type of "vest pocket" pipe with a stem that folds around to make it more compact and to protect the stem from getting snapped in your pocket. A number of pipe makers produce these, and I think they always sell pretty well because they've been around for nearly a century. I tend to suspect that they are not great smokers. Many people own them, but few claim to use them on a regular basis; they seem to be a sort of popular novelty pipe. Usually the chamber on these is fairly small.

The upper pipe in the pair of pipes the case is meerschaum-lined. This was a popular pipe design in the fifties, and these are still made and sold quite a bit, though many prefer a pipe made entirely of meerschaum, the carved white sea-foam material.

The two pipes in the foreground on the little stands seem to both have plateau on their brims, the rough surface that occurs naturally in the grain of some briar. This is usually regarded at a plus, an attribute.

All of the pipes look reasonably clean and well-maintained, but without being able to inspect them in person and read the stamping, I'd look for a pretty good deal on the lot, and/or more information about the stamping and their condition. The pipe on the front row to the left has a stem that is akimbo. It might just be straightened by hand or it might need at least minor repair if it is a screw-in stem.

If the price for the lot is especially good, and you really like the looks of the pipes, it might be a fair gamble. Otherwise, I'd ask a lot of questions and look for an especially fair price.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The meerschaum lined billiard (top center) in the box is a Yello-Bole.

The pipes all look unsmoked or very lightly smoked, and seemingly very good condition.
If you're paying under $100 or thereabouts it could be a good deal for you.
Looks more like an Orlik to me.

Nothing there that that I'd pay over $30 for.

Reactions: argmooner

argmooner

Lurker
Sep 27, 2022
I can't call these out by brand, but two I notice and somewhat recognize. At the right of the photo is a generic type of "vest pocket" pipe with a stem that folds around to make it more compact and to protect the stem from getting snapped in your pocket. A number of pipe makers produce these, and I think they always sell pretty well because they've been around for nearly a century. I tend to suspect that they are not great smokers. Many people own them, but few claim to use them on a regular basis; they seem to be a sort of popular novelty pipe. Usually the chamber on these is fairly small.

The upper pipe in the pair of pipes the case is meerschaum-lined. This was a popular pipe design in the fifties, and these are still made and sold quite a bit, though many prefer a pipe made entirely of meerschaum, the carved white sea-foam material.

The two pipes in the foreground on the little stands seem to both have plateau on their brims, the rough surface that occurs naturally in the grain of some briar. This is usually regarded at a plus, an attribute.

All of the pipes look reasonably clean and well-maintained, but without being able to inspect them in person and read the stamping, I'd look for a pretty good deal on the lot, and/or more information about the stamping and their condition. The pipe on the front row to the left has a stem that is akimbo. It might just be straightened by hand or it might need at least minor repair if it is a screw-in stem.

If the price for the lot is especially good, and you really like the looks of the pipes, it might be a fair gamble. Otherwise, I'd ask a lot of questions and look for an especially fair price.
Thank you MSO, That is exactly the info I was looking for. I am purchasing a few pipe cradles and multiple pipe holders from a great woman who's father smoked from 17 till the age of 85. There are much more pipe stands than I will need ,but I am going to find a way to get them to people whom need or want them. She's giving me the lot for a song . I just have to get there . I am just beginning to smoke pipes of late . Much thanks to everyone for the welcoming to this forum . Be Well .
PS. If anyone has any ideas about distributing some pipe caddies let me know . Screenshot_20221006-081342_Facebook.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Looks more like an Orlik to me.

Nothing there that that I'd pay over $30 for.
Looks like a two pipe set too.
I see so many Yello-Boles in my KB&B searches I think they haunt me.
Could very well be Orlik (in which case I'd think the value goes up a smidge). They look very similar from a distance.

Reactions: argmooner

argmooner

Lurker
Sep 27, 2022
Hello again everyone. Thank you for the welcome.
I obtained a bunch of pipe racks of which I may sell some and give some away . But, I was gifted in the same sale a can of this Chumley. Closed tight still. Not sure how it was stored all this time . Top seems to be puffed up a bit , as if it's stuffed tight with tobacco. Thanks for your expertise in teaching me about this can . The rest if the gentleman's tobacco was thrown away .
I never have sold or traded anything , especially tobacco ware . If anyone can guide me to somewhere I can read about it , it would be appreciated. Be well.

Attachments

• 20221008_142002.jpg
    20221008_142002.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Wow
Reactions: anotherbob