PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradigm76

Lurker
Aug 8, 2020
Hi group,

I recently started smoking a pipe I got as a gift and have really been enjoying it. My grandfather passed away last month and I wasn't aware he smoked pipes but I have inherited them. I would like to bring them back to a functional state. I have reamed out the bowls and used the alcohol and salt method and they are alot better! Any tips on how to clean up the stems and if I need to do anymore maintenance to them (I have heard about some people sand down the mouth piece and the top of the bowl, not sure if this is necessary). I also noticed a crack on one of them, can this still be used or maybe just set it aside.

Thanks for any tips.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Hi group,

I recently started smoking a pipe I got as a gift and have really been enjoying it. My grandfather passed away last month and I wasn't aware he smoked pipes but I have inherited them. I would like to bring them back to a functional state. I have reamed out the bowls and used the alcohol and salt method and they are alot better! Any tips on how to clean up the stems and if I need to do anymore maintenance to them (I have heard about some people sand down the mouth piece and the top of the bowl, not sure if this is necessary). I also noticed a crack on one of them, can this still be used or maybe just set it aside.

Thanks for any tips.
Its hard to say without seeing pictures of what you're working with. If the stems need a good deep cleaning you can soak them in OxyClean for several hours and give them a scrub once in a while throughout the soak. Sanding/Filing them can bring the shape of the button back and help to eliminate tooth marks but this must be done with caution as you can sand/file through to the draw and that would be a real bummer.

paradigm76

Lurker
Aug 8, 2020
I will give the Oxyclean soak a try, if I were to attempt to sand what grit paper is best to use? The stem doesn't seem to want to go back into one of them, don't want to force and break it. Thoughts on that crack?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 20200819_124459.png
    20200819_124459.png
    995.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200819_124550.png
    20200819_124550.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200819_124648.png
    20200819_124648.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200819_124705.png
    20200819_124705.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200819_124754.png
    20200819_124754.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: chopper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since you are new to pipes, I would advise you to go very easy with the reamer (and I hope I'm not too late). It is somewhat fun to ream pipes, and easy to get carried away. Briar is the substance of many pipes, and if you shave beyond the carbon layer and into the wood, you are likely to do damage, especially as a beginner. A minority of Forums members choose not to build cake and therefore never use a reamer on our own rotation, only for restoring estate pipes if we do that. Over zealous reaming can ruin pipes. Welcome aboard and happy smoking.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
We call inherited pipes from family and friends who have passed over 'legacy' pipes.
Sorry for your loss but what an enviable lot to possess.

Apart from that small crack [not quite sure what to do there] they all look to be in reasonable shape.

Rather than trying to file away any tooth marks, I'd be filling any indentations then bring out the file. Superglue mixed with graphite is used by some restorers as a filler.
I've not done this myself so I'd wait for advise from those with more experience before getting out the superglue, lol.

None of my pipes have any tooth marks since I rarely clench but I do fit rubber bits on my 'outside' pipes for the rare occasion when I do.
You might want to consider doing the same to keep your pipes stems in good condition.

Welcome to the Fellowship of the Briar and to the forum.

No such thing as a dumb question when learning so don't be afraid to ask.
There's a lot of experience here and members are more than happy to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.