PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
Hello everyone, I am a new pipe smoker I"be been smoking a pipe for about a month. I started with cigars and listened to a few podcasts on cigars and came across an episode where one of the guys also smoked pipes. He started talking about pipes and pipe tobacco and cellaring tobacco and I was instantly intrigued. So far I have a Butz Choquin bent Apple a Peterson 150 and a Nording fantasy freehand. I really like the Savinelli 311 that will be the next one. As far as tobacco I like English blends and Virginias I'm not interested in aromatics. I would like to try some Kentucky fired. I can't wait to build up my cellar and put some years on some tins. That's it for now I'm glad I discovered the pipe smoking world.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Welcome English and Virginias is what I like as well. I have yet to try an English that I did not like at some level.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Welcome to the hobby. Hit some of your local tobacco shops and see if you can score some aged tins to get you started. If not, fresh tobacco is just as good or even better sometimes.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Hello, and good morning! If you're interested in Fire-cured tobaccos you've arrived at a perfect time, as there are so many blends today with Kentucky Dark Fired as a star player. Many of the online tobacco retailers allow you to search by component, so you can browse them all, and tobaccoreviews.com (along with the good folks here) will help you get some sort of an idea about what to expect out of each one. Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired is a great place to start, and G. L. Pease has got some stellar blends as well.
Edit/ P.S. Many (but not all) dark-fired blends are also quite substantial in the Nicotine department, so go slow at first if you have not got a high tolerance. I forget this sometimes, as I smoked cigarettes all my life and have never run into this problem.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a great start. Gawith and Hoggarth's Dark Bird's Eye is a tasty introduction to Kentucky tobacco; a little sweet, and little spicy and smokey, and as was previously mentioned, packs a good dose of nicotine.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Welcome to the club!
A bit of advice on building your cellar stock.
Try lots of blends and styles before you buy too many of one thing, this way you know what you like and don't stockpile tins that you don't like.
Buy 2 types of tins, those you want to smoke and those that are good for trading and go up in value.
Some tins are much better with age (Dunhills are an example of this) If you want to try aged tobacco for little money then find Dunhill Standard Mixture "MELLOW" on an online store. Many still have this and are selling them for circa $10-12. Every tin that I have bought has been from 2011. $10 for an 8 year old Dunhill is a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.