PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
Seeds from local growers would be perfect.
Science has proved that plants respond and adapt to their environment.

By buying local seeds, your plants will not have to go through a process of adapting to a new environment, which can take several generations, giving you the best chance of an A-grade crop from the get-go.

Tobacco needs to be aged for at least a year after harvest. [My Burley leaf was rough as guts fresh. The difference a year later was huge]
While your sourcing local seed, you might also consider asking the growers if you're able to buy some whole leaf to give yourself a head start.

Since my stash wont last forever, I intend to make Cavendish, Black Cavendish and Perique.
I've also bought a SS noodle press [for $10aud] and a bottle of 13yo Bundaberg spiced rum to experiment making Kake and Flake.

Tobacco taxes here are contemptible,. No way will I pay extortionist prices for baccy.
Encouragingly, many of the experienced home growers at the Freetrade tobacco forum say that they much prefer smoking their homegrown blends over commercial blends.
I hear you man, sadly I don’t buy anymore tobacco locally. I refuse to pay the criminal prices they set and luckily I can get my baccy from the US. It does sound like long term, growing your own tobacco is the best bet. Super cool your looking at doing flakes and cakes. Thanks for a lot of good advice, I will probably pick your brain over the next few months as I start this journey.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I hear you man, sadly I don’t buy anymore tobacco locally. I refuse to pay the criminal prices they set and luckily I can get my baccy from the US. It does sound like long term, growing your own tobacco is the best bet. Super cool your looking at doing flakes and cakes. Thanks for a lot of good advice, I will probably pick your brain over the next few months as I start this journey.
I'm also a newbie grower but am happy to share where I can.

Yes it is a long term venture. That's why I got started a couple of years ago so that I have a reasonable stash of homegrown for when my commercial blends run dry.
In the meantime I'm learning as much as possible.

Good to hear that you're still able to source your baccy from the U.S.
My advice is to stock up on as much tobacco as you're able to afford while you're still able. No such thing as 'too much tobacco'.
One never knows what draconian laws will come down in the future.

Back when we first heard that new laws would be introduced regarding the import of tobacco without a license, we were told that it would only affect 'commercial quantity'. [From those who were 'in the know' no less]
I had a bad feeling so I ordered as much baccy as my pension allowed. If I hadn't listened to my gut, I'd be smoking grass clippings by now.

My warnings to others to do the same fell on deaf ears. [In fact I copped a lot of grief on social media - 'paranoid' and 'fear-monger' where the most common responses]
A few acquaintances who I had introduced to pipes, ignored me completely and later expected me to share my stash because "You got it real cheap after all". Ugh. Stupid people. [I don't mind sharing but not with those who can't be bothered to help themselves]

Status
Not open for further replies.