PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay- You forgot to mention bowels!! Are you slipping, or taking a softer approach? [Back to watching The Open, after Grace just broke the single round record.]

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm smoking my way through a tin of Stanwell Jubilee. It is well respected by some here and after a couple of bowels you'll understand why. It is well balanced, burns dry, and I've had no hints of tongue bite.
I wasn't aware of its laxative powers!
1Q or Captain Black, both made by Lane Ltd - the 2 most popular blends in production.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay- You forgot to mention bowels!! Are you slipping, or taking a softer approach?"
Most certainly not, it was a deliberate move to test the observation skills of my trainee...I was not disappointed :D
Regards,
Jay.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Looking forward to getting my order this coming week. Ordered mac barren, lane, and blue note. Also got 2 ounces of mcclelland three cherry blend.
Went to an estate sale today and bought another pipe. Looks like an older meerschaum pipe with a silver band. Not sure whet the stem is. Bakelite maybe? This one is used however unlike the 2 that I bought at the previous estate sale. For $20 i couldnt resist.
Also stopped by a real tobacco shop near the estate sale and picked up some McClelland vbc. I'm really enjoying it. I find the taste and smell extremely pleasant. The golden blend reminds me more of a cigarette and the McClelland more of a cigar.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Mc VBC was the first aromatic where I went "this is it i taste what I smell". It has one of the best flavors out there but its on top of a very bland tobacco. Still i smoke it often and its smell always brings me back to that aha moment. :)

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Ditto what everyone else has said, it won't smell the same to you when you're on the receiving end of the pipe. But lanes 1Q is a solid typical pipe fragrance that you're thinking of. Hobbit's Weed from Tewksbury Co. is unfortunately no longer in production but pipesandcigars.com has a "match hobbits weed" blend that is similar. I've turned several new pipe smokers on to the blend and smelling it secondhand I can say that it has the best room note I've ever experienced. But being the one on the smoking end of the pipe, you'll discover that some times the blend that smells the worst to the audience tastes the best to you.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Guys I have 4 types of pipes now: Corn cob, briar, meerschaum lined briar, and carved meerschaum. So far I have only used the cob and briar pipes I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems the flavor is different in the 2 types. I know that the cob is a filtered pipe and the briar uses what I believe is called a stinger. Are the pipe materials and internal setup big factors in flavor and burning characteristics?
P.s. thanks for all of the tips guys. Really enjoying pipe smoking so far.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
My package arrived today. So far I've tried the Lane 1Q and mac Baren vanilla flake. The 1Q was a very nice mild smoke that I enjoyed, but I liked the mac Baren more. I will definitely order more tins of the mac Baren. I think I like the McClelland vbc more than the 1q also.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Keep in mind that with aromatic pipe tobaccos there's often a big difference between the taste of the blend and the room note.
Very true. I find that smoking wet aromatics soaked in PG tend to numb and kill my taste buds. After a few bowls, what little flavor I could taste is gone.
It can be difficult to find flavorful 'dry aromatics', but they are out there.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
When you say PG are you referring to propylene glycol?
Man the more I smoke this mac Baren vanilla flake the more tasty it is. I don't know what they put in it but count me in.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
I knew you would dig that MB. They have a distinct room note. I found smoking Vanilla Cream whilst I'm trying to decide what to smoke, is pleasing to the room.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
You were right about the MB and bijou. Loved the MB and hated the bijou that I got as a free gift. Reminded me of cigarettes too. The only cigarettes i really loved were camel turkish royal in the blue pack, but I think they changed the blend after a while. The original blend was realy good. Had a suble choclaty flavor and so smooth.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Josh if you want to try the McClelland 3 cherry I will mail it to you on my dime. Won't cost you a cent, just pm me your address and I'll get it over to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.