PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Title change. Need to read rule 9. Way too long, no caps. Original;

'What are some good lunting tobaccos that you can puff on with seemingly little to not palette burnout?'

I commute into work and when I walk my mile between my train and bus stop, I will light up my pipe and try to enjoy the pit that is Seattle as much as I can. My daily driver tobacco is Escudo Navy De Luxe but found that the VaPer just gets too hot when I’m walking (presumably because I’m breathing more do to my increased heart rate) and I end up with tongue bite and palate burnout. Do you have any tips on how to walk and smoke or good tobaccos that maintain their flavor even when puffing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Coreios

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I know some can't stand the stuff, but I can smoke C&D's Haunted Bookshop all day long for weeks on end. I've also had good luck with MM's Missouri Pride, which I regularly smoke when I'm in my tractor or working outside.

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
I usually just sit when I smoke, but I would think burley based blends would be a little more forgiving of faster puffing. I'd bet some of the old school "codger" OTC blends would be worth trying.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
honestly any of them. Make sure you watch your smoking and the wind. I lunt mainly with the pipe and it's got less to do with how hard you are walking and breathing (at least in my experience.) and breathing and more how much attention you're paying to how you smoke and the wind. I like wind screens for times like this.
Though I find English blends and some burly blends less fickle to cadence and generally how hard one smokes then others especial VA.

Reactions: mbmoehl and warren

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I smoke a rotation of codgers while driving or mowing the lawn or kayaking, or any time I can't give the pipe my full attention. Carter Hall, PA, and EGR all seem to burn perfectly no matter what I'm doing.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
It's a tough one, and there may be blends that will work better for you than others, but I just think it's mainly getting use to it. It takes some concentration on your breathing, especially if you clinch. As Coreios mentioned, sometimes keeping your tounge over the end of the bit helps between puffs or when exhaling. The wind will also cause it to burn faster, a hand or finger over the bowl might help in the absence of a wind cap. The only other thing that might help is to smoke flakes/plugs or similar. It will take longer to light, but the denser tobacco seems to handle the wind and heavier puffing a little better in my short experience.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I often take a walk to the local convenience store to invest in my redneck retirement I mean buy lottery.
I bought a cheap pipe with a windscreen. It helps. Mr Brogg makes the one I've got.

As far as tobacco Virginia's might be a bit problematic as you said. For some reason I seem to smoke HH Old Dark Fired on my walks. That is subject to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: yanoJL

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can't enjoy a pipe while lunting. For some reason I can't keep the damn thing lit while walking around. And obviously a pipe screen interferes with relights.

Reactions: gervais