PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Hi all, funny I decided I want to try something new and its on bill payday. I am just waiting for payday in two weeks. I have pretty much picked out what to buy except for the pipe. I am going to get a cob pipe but which one? What size would be best for about 10-15 minute smoke? Since it will mostly be smoked outside. I have never tried a pipe but have smoked cigars before and use to do MYO cigarettes about 15 years ago. I will be looking for all your help on getting started.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Also to start out I am getting Prince Albert and Carter Hall to start off with and maybe some peter stokkebye, I use to like some of there ryo cigarette tobacco.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Buy a Legend and don't pack it completely full. I own a MM "Shortstop" that I bought to be a 15-20 minute smoker and it is more of a PITA than it is worth. A Legend is a great smoke and cheap. If you ever have time for a longer smoke (I average 45 to an hour from a full bowl) you'll really appreciate it.
For starting tobacco, I'd suggest trying a few different bleds. Buy 1 ounce of several different bulks and see what you like. I'll recommend Peter Stokkebye's Bulls Eye Flake and Nightcap as good intros to Virginia blends and English blends respectively.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Missouri Meerschaum Legend is a nice middle-of-the-road size. Very popular, probably because it is so average size-wise. Depending on what you're smoking, you'll probably get more than 10-15 minutes, though. Carter Hall is a pretty fast burner, and I get 30 minutes easy out of a Legend. MM makes some tinier pipes, but I've never gone smaller than a Legend.

May 4, 2015
Legend (or any of the few they have that are that size - Pride, Legend, Washington) will get you were you want to go. If you want a small pipe for a short smoke, I actually really like the Huck Finn or Pony Express. They also have a Tom Sawyer that's more of a shorter nosewarmer. They're all great shirt-pocket pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Get the Legend and maybe one or two other MM cobs. You might also want to get an Old Dominion cob with the authentic reed stems, for a real historical cob smoking experience. I'd recommend the Laughing King, which is not the smallest, but is in the small category. If you also want a small one, the Chesapeake is a mini and good for a short smoke. Prices are modest, so we're not talking about a budget breaker on any of these, which you can buy over some months, as you like. I think you are smart to start with a cob, which are great pipes, light weight, mostly dry smoking, and generally easy to learn. With a little "rack" of these, you can try many blends. I'd buy tobacco in small quantities so you can sample widely. Even if you find something you like, keep the quantities small, since your taste will develop and change. An appealing "bulk" tobacco you might like, from pipesandcigars, is the blend Log Cabin.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Question: if you fill the bowl up and only smoke half can you save it and smoke later (like a couple hours later)? Or do you dump it?

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Depends on the blend, time lapse, and (in Florida at least) humidity in my experience, but generally, yes. You can relight pipe tobacco more often than not.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Greetings and welcome to the forum! As far as which MM to go with I like them all so I couldn't recommend just one. As far as baccy I recommend Prince Albert, I do enjoy it. Post pics of what ever you go with.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Pipes Magazine Forums.

You'll find your way. If not, pretty much everyone here will share their own ideas.

Smoking a pipe is not a skill you're born with. It takes a little practice.

Ultimately, if you must smoke, it's the way to go.

So, you've figured out what to buy, huh? Except for the pipe?

What are you planning on buying.

May 4, 2015
Question: if you fill the bowl up and only smoke half can you save it and smoke later (like a couple hours later)? Or do you dump it
I do this often with the intention of returning to it to smoke. I rarely actually do though... by the time I remember I had half a bowl, I'm wanting to smoke something else.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It all depends on what you consider "expensive"... :D
My first briar (first pipe, actually) was a Viking Classic that ran about $60. It had a couple of issues that I've corrected, and I had several more issues as a new pipe smoker that I likewise corrected. There are any number of factory pipe makers that offer decent value at the sub-$100 level (which is where I've done most of my purchasing so far) - Savinelli, Rossi, Stanwell, etc. - and there are plenty of good quality estate pipes in that price range as well, if you're willing to take the time to learn what you're looking at and figure out what you're looking for.
I'd recommend digging through the forums with the Search feature - you'll find any number of similar questions from other new pipe smokers, many of whom are still around here somewhere.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Well I did scrape up some money for a Legend and Prince Albert. It was a little interesting. Not sure I really like PA it seemed a little bland, but this was my first time. When payday gets here I will get some different samples to try. Over all it was good.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I had decided to get a couple of Legend, what would be the next step up a briar? Not to expensive.
I don't consider briar pipes to be a "step up" as opposed to a step sideways. The most I've spent on a pipe is $90 for my Al Pascia Curvey and it smokes fantastic but my MM cobs are just as reliable. My most expensive pipe was a gift; it is a straight meerschaum billiard and, while I love it, it is harder to get a reliable smoke out of then my cobs.
For a first "briar," I actually recommend a Falcon. They're cheap(ish) and smoke great. You can get multiple bowls to increase you pipe rotation. You can even get MM cob bowls, meerschaum bowls, and meerschaum lines bowls.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I found that it was typical in the beginning to have to smoke a blend repeatedly before my taste buds became aware of its nuances and flavors, especially the codger blends, which all have their own casing and cut, but are burley based.

Eventually, Prince Albert should yield a nice sweet tobacco flavor and an easy enjoyable smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.