PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Austin

Lurker
May 26, 2021
Hello everyone,

Been starting my pipe journey for close to a year now and trying to expand past aromatics. I really enjoy english and baltic blends. in particular- 965, GL Pease Maltese Falcon, Black House.

Anyway, I'd love to try some Virginia, burley, vapers, kentucky, etc.. but would love some recommendations!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My usual advice to folks starting out is to buy in small quantities for a year or two, even if you especially like a blend. Anything you don't like, jar and save for a year or so and try it again. But keep it to one tin, a one or two ounce baggie of bulk, or a pouch. Sample the different genres -- English, Balkan, Virginia, Virginia/Perique, burley and burley blends, and so on. Your tastes will develop and change a lot. The blends you've tried are good ones. Peterson Irish Flake might appeal to you, Five Brothers for a burley, C&D Old Joe Krantz.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
HH Virginia Flake, Wessex Campaign Flake, HH Old Dark Fired, Astley’s 109,Gawith Hoggarth Bright CR Flake, Sutliff 507C,. All should be readily available. Solid start.
After that, you can try tracking down some of the unicorns or out of production blends: McClelland 5100, McClelland Christmas Cheer, Esoterica Penzance, ESO Dorchester, ESO Stonehaven, McCrainie’s Red, Samuel Gawith 1792, SG Best Brown.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been starting my pipe journey for close to a year now and trying to expand past aromatics.
Being a pipe smoker for only a year you weren't nearly ready for aromatics. The latakia blends you're enjoying now as well as burleys are the more beginner and user friendly starting point. Straight Virginias may still be a bit early for you but I'll suggest Old Dark Fired, Sixpence, and Doblone d'Oro for their dark fired presence.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can dive into it for less than a hundred bucks. Order tins of GLP Union Square, Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia and Old Dark Fired, C&D Bijou and Sunday Picnic, Solani 660 and Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. Open each, screw the lid back on and let them sit two or three weeks to breathe. Then dive in and enjoy yourself. Make sure they're dry enough and smoke slow.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If I had it to do over again, this is what I wish I would have done when starting out:
Get an ounce of each of the main varietals sold as bulk by the ounce. Straight varietals, not blends. Try them on their own to see what they taste like individually. I think it brings more appreciation for good blends when you can easily suss out the flavors from each component. Plus, if you want to try your hand at blending your own tobacco, you’ll have a “taste repertoire” already established.

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
If I had it to do over again, this is what I wish I would have done when starting out:
Get an ounce of each of the main varietals sold as bulk by the ounce. Straight varietals, not blends. Try them on their own to see what they taste like individually. I think it brings more appreciation for good blends when you can easily suss out the flavors from each component. Plus, if you want to try your hand at blending your own tobacco, you’ll have a “taste repertoire” already established.
Absolutely fantastic advice! Not only does it give you the taste repertoire as noted, you then have some extra of these varietals around to add a pinch of to a given blend to see how it plays with the original. An example for me was Peterson's Early Morning Pipe. It is a bit too "bitey" for me (I smoke wrong I'm sure) But I added a pinch of Latakia to a pre bowl mix and bingo, perfect.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
With burley I’d start with Mac baren golden extra, HH burley flake, amphora burley and also solani ABF if you can find that available.

All great blends in my opinion.

Golden extra for a light cocoa burley with Virginia in the mix.

HH burley and amphora burley for a more pure burley experience, nutty and cocoa, both with some DFK in the mix, although I find the dark fired a little more upfront in the amphora.

Solani is a step up in the strength department, pure burley with a wonderful cocoa note.

All a bit different but truly a great burley treat no matter what you choose.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
All great suggestions above. I'll add the following (some overlaps, I'm sure) as good starting points for each genre, which are all readily available:

Virginia:
Orlik Golden Sliced
Capstan Blue
Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia

Burley:
Mac Baren HH Burley Flake
Mac Baren Golden Extra
C&D Pegasus

VaPer:
Escudo
Samuel Gawith St. James Flake
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (cheap and available in bulk)

VaBur:
Mac Baren Navy Flake
Stokkebye Cube Cut
C&D Briar Fox

English:
Latakia is not for me, so I can't say

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
As for capers... Check out Escudo, give it time. I didn’t care for this blend upon first pass. And Solani 633. These are 2 blends I reach for quite often.

I’m finding there are so many blends to try, which makes this hobby so fun.
It’s the constant search.

Even smoking the same blend in different pipes can yield different results

Austin

Lurker
May 26, 2021
great advice indeed. What sources might you suggest for these straight varietals? thanks!