PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome. Being retired from an electric utility here in Illinois, I understand how stressful the job can be...especially after a storm.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Welcome! There’s definitely a lot of wisdom here and and a lot of opinions too. Everyone is more than willing to share both!

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Welcome from Green County, WI!

Some good advice for starting out that I'm just repeating from elsewhere on these forums: if you have access to a Brick and Mortar tobacconist, it's the best place to start as they ought to have open jars of things you can smell to start narrowing down what you might like to smoke.

If mail order is your option, for whatever reason, invest a little in two each of a 'straight Virginia', 'Virginia perique', 'English (has Latakia)', 'virginia oriental (like the previous category, but no Latakia)', and one fruit and one liquor aromatic.

Going back and forth between these categories and A/B-ing inside them is a great way to start narrowing down your preferences. It also keeps you from accumulating too much too quickly - most of which you won't get around to smoking because it's in a category you don't currently favor.

Wesley3sheds

Lurker
Sep 28, 2022
Wisconsin
Welcome from Green County, WI!

Some good advice for starting out that I'm just repeating from elsewhere on these forums: if you have access to a Brick and Mortar tobacconist, it's the best place to start as they ought to have open jars of things you can smell to start narrowing down what you might like to smoke.

If mail order is your option, for whatever reason, invest a little in two each of a 'straight Virginia', 'Virginia perique', 'English (has Latakia)', 'virginia oriental (like the previous category, but no Latakia)', and one fruit and one liquor aromatic.

Going back and forth between these categories and A/B-ing inside them is a great way to start narrowing down your preferences. It also keeps you from accumulating too much too quickly - most of which you won't get around to smoking because it's in a category you don't currently favor.
Just got back from a store here in LaCrosse called “the Briar Patch” it is a pipe tobacco and cigar shop/smoking lounge. Guys were very easy to talk to and helpful. I can see myself hanging out here if I ever find myself in need of a good story.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. My family spent many weeks in the summer at Lake Geneva, WI, up there near Yerkes Observatory on that beautiful glacier cut lake. Lots of info and lore on Forums; I always learn something.