PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirteenthcor

Lurker
Oct 20, 2019
Eastern Washington
Hey everyone. Felt like I might get back into pipes after a long hiatus and a big move.

There doesn't as yet seem to be as much of a community up here, so I figured I'd join a forum and see whats been going on.

My favorite smoke is Orlik Dark Kentucky and while I prefer a Church Warden my original pipe was a short stem Parker Jockey Club Briar. Stem got a little loose and since I have a habit of smoking hot I tended to get a bit of pipe sour, so I'm moving to Church Wardens for good (for now haha). Currently eyeballing a Savinelli Rustic 601 Church Warden just waiting on a good reason to pull the trigger!

My Bucket list: Learn to like Cypriot Latakia with a passion.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's INW? Welcome from central N.C. I've never set out to like a particular blend.

thirteenthcor

Lurker
Oct 20, 2019
Eastern Washington
What's INW? Welcome from central N.C. I've never set out to like a particular blend.

Hi! Sorry, Inland Northwest. It's to differentiate between PNW (Seattle) and INW (Spokane). Mostly it's assumed if you say you're from Washington people say "Oh, Seattle." There a literally dozens of us who don't live in Seattle. Dozens! Regionally it's very hard to connect with people on the other side of the mountains, so being specific helps keep the disappointment down when you discover someone lives in the same state you do, but of course just too far away.

I only mention Latakia because it's something deeply complex with an amazingly rich history. I have had it before in small amounts (blends of course) and I can tell that there's so much there to unpack and enjoy, but the strength of it pushes back. It's very intriguing. On the other end, I recall I was never much a fan of Burley.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks! I learn something every day. I'm glad there are dozens of people outside the big metro centers.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hi! Sorry, Inland Northwest. It's to differentiate between PNW (Seattle) and INW (Spokane). Mostly it's assumed if you say you're from Washington people say "Oh, Seattle." There a literally dozens of us who don't live in Seattle. Dozens! Regionally it's very hard to connect with people on the other side of the mountains, so being specific helps keep the disappointment down when you discover someone lives in the same state you do, but of course just too far away.
I did my undergrad at Washington State (Go Cougs!). I am from the CULSUPNW myself (That's Coastal Upper Left Sub Arctic Pacific North West). I can certainly relate to the geographic disparity. Say you are from Alaska and people start rattling off names like you are going to know them, not realizing that many people in Alaska live 700 miles apart and there are some 750,000 of us here, hahaha.

It's like meeting someone from Boston and saying "Oh, I have family in Chicago! The Jones's?"

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Probably both perspectives are more right than wrong.

I will say the eastern part of the state has changed a helluva lot less than the Puget Sound area over the last forty+ years.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from South of the GSFBA!

We are doing a Go Fund Me to build a wall South of King City to keep the Angelenos out. (Except Jesse).

thirteenthcor

Lurker
Oct 20, 2019
Eastern Washington
Probably both perspectives are more right than wrong.

I will say the eastern part of the state has changed a helluva lot less than the Puget Sound area over the last forty+ years.

Personal political opinions aside (I generally prefer leanings toward King County for what its worth) I LOVE the way this state is set up.

I moved from a rapidly growing, much more densely populated area before landing in the INW, and I can really appreciate how I get to enjoy west coast dollars and legislation without the cost of living usually associated with those same two factors! It's definitely something I'll never take for granted.

Hey all! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.