PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryans

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
Hi All! Here is a quick introduction and some of the reasons I'm now smoking a pipe...

I'm a 70 yo semi-retired physician (Still see patients about 3 days/ week). My dad smoked a pipe when we were kids, which was my first introduction to pipes. When I was about eleven and my kid brother about 9, we saved all our allowance money and bought him a meerschaum pipe (which he always talked about but never had). He really loved it, not only for the pipe, but because we thought enough of him to gift him with it, I think.

Flash ahead to the last year or so. It was very difficult one for my wife and I. In the same week, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and her mom with pancreatic cancer. The last twelve months has been really tough, as my wife went through chemotherapy and radiation and we had her mom placed in hospice care. I had to assume all the duties at home--cooking cleaning, shopping, etc. My mother-in-law finally passed in January of this year. In the midst of this, my father died in October at the ripe old age of 98--sharp to the end, but he could not beat pneumonia. My wife will be fine with low stage disease and we don't anticipate any recurrence.

During this time my refuge has been to quietly sit on our upstairs balcony and smoke a bowl. Understand that I have never smoked in my whole life before this, but this gave me a moment to reflect on the day and relax. We live in northern Michigan in a beautiful home overlooking lovely Lake Charlevoix and I believe this really helped keep me sane and emotionally recharged during a most difficult time.

My dad lived with my brother in Boca Raton, FL, and my brother finally overcame his grief enough to go through my father's things--and the old meerschaum was still there. He sent it to me and I had it reconditioned and have smoked it--kind of a way to reconnect with him, I guess. I know people smoke for a number of reasons, but smoking a bowl does wonders for my spirits and it sure beats meds or alcohol! Also, smoking the pipe triggers fond memories of him which I would never have been able to recall otherwise--perhaps the smell of the tobacco makes those memories come alive again?

Surprisingly, I have not had too much trouble with packing or relighting my pipes as I remember much of what he told me and what I observed as a child while watching him prepare his pipe. I’ve been trying a variety of tobaccos, finding some of the aromatics a bit cloying for my taste but enjoying Captain Black Gold the most, I think. Fun experimenting! And I’m proud to be a member of this most elite group!

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
<p>Welcome aboard from Arizona, but born in Flint, moved at 10. I recall fondly Charlivoix, Harbor Springs, Boyne Mt and of course Mackinaw Island. To think of sitting on the porch of the Grand Hotel smoking a pipe sipping a cocktail. (Except the last time I was there I was 8 so it would have been weird

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
A warm welcome from Metro Detroit! Sounds like you are on the right path to keeping your spirits up. I spent all my summers as a kid in Elk Rapids on the bay sailing.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy & welcome from the SC upstate, bryan! Glad to have you with us! Truly sorry to hear about your dad & m-i-l. Pancreatic is just concentrated evil, no question.
fine with low stage disease
Excellent, glad to hear that! :)
Vis-a-vis blends, there are some good aromatic & semi-aros out there (Belmont Station from Cornell & Diehl, for example) that have much less sickly-sweet flavor yet still good room note for the average person's companions. Most of the more common aros, though, I'd stay away from at this point. As you found, they are just too syrupy & yuck to really make a good smoke. A good burley mixture would probably be a good choice to try, along with Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, believe it or not. A good unflavored cavendish blend would probably do well too. If you're lucky enough to have a decent brick-&-mortar fairly close by, their tobacconists will almost certainly be able to fix you up at their bar.
Welcome again! There are a lot of us "of a certain age" here, as well as a bunch of younger guys/ladies. Just watch out for the pirate crew; when they're on a roll they don't always discriminate between the ones they're hunting & those who accidentally wind up in the way. ;)
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bryans, welcome aboard from central N.C. My dad's family used to summer at a little sandy-soil farm in western Michigan east of Muskegon, near a tiny town of Holton. I camped there, no running water or electricity, and eventually my dad brokered the sale for his siblings and him. You've had a rough season. I returned to the pipe after a long hiatus. Smoked when I returned home from my wife's rehab after hip surgery, a continuing trial. Your dad's Meerschaum serves as a great legacy and solace in a challenging time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. I am sorry to hear about your situation, my sincerest condolences.
I would grab a tin of Capstan Blue Flake and Escudo. They are great examples of a Vorgonia Flake and a Virginia/Perique coin. Read up on smoking flake tobacco and hopefully you will enjoy these world class blends( at least to me they are world class).

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Thank you for sharing and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your trials and your loss, but I'm glad to hear that the gentle art of pipe smoking has assuaged some of your grief. Captain Black is an OTC that I enjoy as well, but I think that Lane 1-Q might be an aromatic more to your liking.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Hello from Seattle.

Sorry to hear about the rough patch you and your wife have had. I found that my opportunity to smoke a bowl has become very much less frequent, but at the same time, much more meaningful and therapeutic. Like you, a pipe has become a peaceful and contemplative comfort and a much needed unstructured and even a meditative experience. Particularly after a difficult period, not having much of consequence going on seems a blessing.

Cheers, Ray

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome and good to hear the worst of your troubles are in the past.
Charlevoix is gorgeous. Was lucky enough to have visited there 50 years ago.
Made me want to contact a cousin to see if he has any of grandfather's pipes; thank you.

bryans

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
Thanks everybody for the kind and supportive responses--they are very much appreciated. And thanks to all who have suggested some new tobaccos to try! Sure helps to have a few suggestions in a most confusing array of offerings.

BTW, I read an interesting article today that talks about smell being a significant memory trigger; this likely explains a whole bunch of memories of my dad and his pipe, including the way he carefully prepared and handled his pipes. Memories returned that I would have never thought of before, so perhaps the concept is valid. For example, he showed me how he was able to blow smoke rings, and I was able to do this as well, much to my surprise. At any rate, thanks to the group again!

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I grew up in Battle Creek, MI and bought my first pipe there. Welcome to the group, if you like aromatics Corona Smoke Shop in Battle Creek has a house blend called Amanda’s Berries & Cream and it’s worth buying an ounce or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.