PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. I grew up in Boston and I always tell people to only use Peretti for things you cannot get anywhere else. Peretti employees were always known for being dicks, people at Leavitt Peirce had much different attitudes to customer service and they have loads of inventory. Just one mans opinion.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hey all.

I'm brand new to pipe smoking and have been enjoying it a lot. Two months ago I walked into L.J. Peretti and purchased my first pipe, a Sevinelli 412 KS and a couple of ounces of Boston Slices and Cambridge Flake, leading to an immediate love of hobby. So much so that I have already obtained 30 different blends of tobacco, about 2 ounces each within these first months.

I realize this is probably too much to start with, but have enjoyed most, if not all of the blends I have obtained and stored each properly in ball mason jars to avoid ruining any that are neglected by time as I Ignore them for others.

Because of this, I have a couple questions.

Firstly, what can be done with blends I don't like, or don't seem to smoke as much as others? I feel bad throwing them out since I spent money to obtain them. Should I age them and try again in the future? or just get rid of them?

Second, since I only have one pipe at the moment, should I worry about smoking a variety of blends from it? I heard ghosting can cause an underlying taste and I don't want to want to ruin any blends that might require 0 interference from outside taste notes. I just want to know if Im able to smoke all of what I have from my pipe (although this has already been done) and not worry about mixing.

Finally, I want to say hello to everyone here and thanks for a great hobby that I hope to enjoy for years to come. Greetings from Massachusetts. Cheers!
Welcome from Virginia

Aug 4, 2022
Welcome from Florida. I grew up in Boston and I always tell people to only use Peretti for things you cannot get anywhere else. Peretti employees were always known for being dicks, people at Leavitt Peirce had much different attitudes to customer service and they have loads of inventory. Just one mans opinion.
Hey! Ill definitely take a trip to Leavitt Pierce soon. I work in Cambridge, so it will be easy to get there. I didn't mind Peretti, the guy I talked to there was fine. But I've only been there once, so maybe the experience wont be the same. I'm looking forward to checking out other B&Ms, so thanks for the suggestion.

Valaam

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
Hey all.

I'm brand new to pipe smoking and have been enjoying it a lot. Two months ago I walked into L.J. Peretti and purchased my first pipe, a Sevinelli 412 KS and a couple of ounces of Boston Slices and Cambridge Flake, leading to an immediate love of hobby. So much so that I have already obtained 30 different blends of tobacco, about 2 ounces each within these first months.

I realize this is probably too much to start with, but have enjoyed most, if not all of the blends I have obtained and stored each properly in ball mason jars to avoid ruining any that are neglected by time as I Ignore them for others.

Because of this, I have a couple questions.

Firstly, what can be done with blends I don't like, or don't seem to smoke as much as others? I feel bad throwing them out since I spent money to obtain them. Should I age them and try again in the future? or just get rid of them?

Second, since I only have one pipe at the moment, should I worry about smoking a variety of blends from it? I heard ghosting can cause an underlying taste and I don't want to want to ruin any blends that might require 0 interference from outside taste notes. I just want to know if Im able to smoke all of what I have from my pipe (although this has already been done) and not worry about mixing.

Finally, I want to say hello to everyone here and thanks for a great hobby that I hope to enjoy for years to come. Greetings from Massachusetts. Cheers!
Welcome from a fellow new member (but not new piper) also in the Bay state. I would concur with a prior comment that buying several Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes would be useful in allowing you to rest your pipe(s). Cobs are cheap and forgiving. Enjoy!

Reactions: WaterfrontDining

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Welcome from Chicago! I grew up in Stoughton, Ma. and still have lots of family there.

The Sherpa

Lurker
Aug 7, 2022
Welcome, from Massachusetts :). I frequent Peretti’s anytime I’m in the city, they are good people.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Welcome from Chicago! I grew up in Stoughton, Ma. and still have lots of family there. enjoy the forum.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Get moar pipes. Cobs, Meers, Estates, whatever. Get lots of pipe cleaners and run one through before and after every smoke. Keep all tobacco. (to smoke or give away)

Prozart

Lurker
Aug 16, 2022
Rhode Island
Greetings from a fellow New Englander (Rhode Island for me). I absolutely love LJ Peretti and make a point of going there every time I'm in Boston. I've not tried Boston Slices yet (the only flake from them I haven't tried actually) but I love Cambridge Flake - it's actually the only blend with latakia I've really enjoyed so far.

Edit: I would also add that I recommend picking up a corn cob or two. Take my recommendations with a grain of salt as I'm probably the most inexperienced member on these forums, but cobs are cheap, smoke great, and dry quickly so until you're able to build a nice collection of briars you can ensure you always have a fresh pipe to smoke. I was against them for a little while just because of the aesthetics but after buying a few briars and finally trying a cob they were all I wanted to smoke for a while until I started getting some nicer briars.