PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
I’m sure many of you have done this before, but it was a revelation for this newbie.
Sometimes I have a hard time really detecting the subtlety of flavor from the straight VAs/VAPers. At times they seem magical, and at others I can only sense an ashy-ness. When I’m smoke my Old Dublin, Night Cap, Wilderness exclusively. But the times when the VAs are shining it is sublime.
So, last night I tried lighting 2 pipes at once. One had Frog Morton’s Cellar and the other one SG FVF. And I found that when smoking them back to back the VA’s distinction just exploded. For me this was amazingly helpful and allowed me really identify the distinction of the VA flavor.
When I lit up a bowl of Escudo today, my palate was able to appreciate the flavor and identify it’s qualities more easily.
I’m sure many of you would just say, duh, no kidding. But it was so enlightening for me I thought I’d share.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I happened on this accidentally. After smoking a pipe for 45 years, I purchased a P&C "Best of the Rest". It was magical and to say the least, incredibly cheap! The very sad part, of course, is that I cannot replicate the mix!!!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been doing your new technique for years. I load one pipe with an aromatic and the other with a natural, VA, VAPER, etc. I light one and smoke it until it goes out. Then I light the other pipe. This makes it much easier to detect the subtle differences between the two blends.
Also, half my pipes are dedicated to aromatic and the rest for the non-aromatics. Clay, meerschaum and cobs don't ghost, so it doesn't matter on them.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I've thought about doing this because I have trouble remembering the taste of one English to compare with another. Some of the differences seem subtle. Some aren't. I tend to like them all - but which to stock is hard to decide.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I like this idea. Might be a great way to compare an aged to a fresh blend. Of course I would want to do that in identical pipes... Better buy a couple more pipes I reckon!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Just get yourself one of these................... Twist the stem 180 degrees to change barrels!!....... :puffy:

ah8wShS.jpg

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Those are a slightly more eloquent solution to the below. Frankly, for how much relighting I have to do - this would be a nightmare.

double_pipe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.