PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
While I find this a stupid and odious law, facts don't support the other portions of your statement. NZ did much better than the US in combating Covid and reopening their economy. The Temperance Movement that begat Prohibition was a product of religious Conservatives.

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.

It was no coincidence that the temperance movement gained national prominence during the height of the Progressive Era in the US.

Likewise, it was predominantly promoted by the Liberal Party in the UK (pre-Labour) and similar progressive political allies elsewhere on the continent.

Finally, I would not consider the seemingly never-ending national lockdowns with their untold human and economic costs a "success" for NZ. We'll have agree to disagree on that one.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
It was no coincidence that the temperance movement gained national prominence during the height of the Progressive Era in the US.

Likewise, it was predominantly promoted by the Liberal Party in the UK (pre-Labour) and similar progressive political allies elsewhere on the continent.

Finally, I would not consider the seemingly never-ending national lockdowns with their untold human and economic costs a "success" for NZ. We'll have agree to disagree on that one.
As someone who lives in Aotearoa NZ, I am grateful for the temperance movement, even if only for the emergence of Kate Shepherd.

Also, I agree that with the exception of our country’s first and only national lockdown, we are really geographically lucky more than “successful”.

Apart from that, I welcome your strong opinions. Always good for banter and comradeship to differ. But to be honest bro, I think your input on this particular thread has pretty much been grandstanding and unnecessary bull shit.

Arohanui.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
As someone who lives in Aotearoa NZ, I am grateful for the temperance movement, even if only for the emergence of Kate Shepherd.

Also, I agree that with the exception of our country’s first and only national lockdown, we are really geographically lucky more than “successful”.

Apart from that, I welcome your strong opinions. Always good for banter and comradeship to differ. But to be honest bro, I think your input on this particular thread has pretty much been grandstanding and unnecessary bull shit.

Arohanui.
Well put. Diversity of thought and tolerance are the recipe de jour.

Reactions: BROBS and Ahi Ka

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

I can't speak to the Temperance Movement in the UK, but the characterization of the period following WW1 as Progressive is more than a bit of a stretch. That was a time that saw a rise in white supremacist organizations, like the KKK, the Fascists in Italy, and the Nazis in Germany. There was a lot more to it an flappers and women getting rights.

NZ had a few lockdowns not continual ones. and were pretty much back to normal life about the same time we were flickering along. And even Japan, which didn't ever completely lock down, did enormously better than the US, with about .7% of our fatality rate.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I can't speak to the Temperance Movement in the UK, but the characterization of the period following WW1 as Progressive is more than a bit of a stretch. That was a time that saw a rise in white supremacist organizations, like the KKK, the Fascists in Italy, and the Nazis in Germany. There was a lot more to it an flappers and women getting rights.

NZ had a few lockdowns not continual ones. and were pretty much back to normal life about the same time we were flickering along. And even Japan, which didn't ever completely lock down, did enormously better than the US, with about .7% of our fatality rate.
Because they love masks and dummies here hate them. It’s tough being fat with labored breathing.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
The temperance movement in the UK had its roots in Presbyterianism and Calvinism rather than politics although later there were organisations promoting it which claimed some political affiliation. Mainly that was done to demonstrate that working people could be trusted to be responsible enough to be given the vote (remember, in those days there was no concept of universal suffrage in the UK). Later when advocates of prohibition started waxing lyrical about how it worked in the US they shot themselves in the foot and were generally heckled and laughed out of town.

About the only thing the Liberal Govt in the UK did was restrict pub opening hours in areas with munitions factories so output could be maintained - quite an important consideration during WW1.

Reactions: BROBS and Ahi Ka

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The temperance movement in the UK had its roots in Presbyterianism and Calvinism rather than politics although later there were organisations promoting it which claimed some political affiliation. Mainly that was done to demonstrate that working people could be trusted to be responsible enough to be given the vote (remember, in those days there was no concept of universal suffrage in the UK). Later when advocates of prohibition started waxing lyrical about how it worked in the US they shot themselves in the foot and were generally heckled and laughed out of town.

About the only thing the Liberal Govt in the UK did was restrict pub opening hours in areas with munitions factories so output could be maintained - quite an important consideration during WW1.
I prefer Hobbsism

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Here’s an opinion article by a former NZ prime minister on the topic. I’m not saying I agree with any of her remarks at all, but if interested it provides a bit of context for current legislation changes. It also shows that the government’s issue (right or wrong) is to do with commercially manufactured cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.