PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a shame that some of the older locations couldn't be kept but it's remarkable that any shop can stay in business for even a few years. 110 years, by comparison, is practically a miracle.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Also, the bit about using his Great Dane for advertising because he couldn't afford print advertisements was a charming detail.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a great story! I used to travel to NYC for work with some frequency from 2000 to 2018. I think I visited the location on Lexington (it had a completely oak storefront, very narrow), in the early 2000's, pretty posh digs! Sadly NY taxes and NYC rates made purchasing pipe tobacco foolish. I had to drive past three PA shops on my way home, at their prices, it was a two-for one vs NYC. But, it was fun to window shop and usually I'd indulge myself with a modestly priced cigar. I did get tossed from the park at the NYC Library on the last trip, don't try smoking in there.....
I miss seeing the guys at the NYC club, it's been two years since I've been in the city.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Anybody ever try Barclay-Rex house blends of pipe tobacco?

I'm wondering whether it's something unique or just another unique combination of the same old blending tobaccos.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it was a Barclay-Rex store I visited on 42nd up the street from Nat Sherman, but a much smaller store. I liked it, but compared to NS with its rocking chairs and smoking areas, it seemed spare. But I honor their venerable age and hope they hang on for another century.

Reactions: Ctbill and litup
Status
Not open for further replies.