PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
No more smoking inside my place.

I had the kids here for a visit around the Holiday season, and I didn't smoke inside then, as they are all non smokers.

After their departure, I realized that I probably might be better off continuing to smoke outside.

The air quality inside is obviously improved, and I get a little exercise walking around out there with my smoke.

The exposure to outdoors and its sights and sounds, as well as the break from my incessant digital media consumption, all go to make the experience more 'wholesome'.
This does tend to slow down my consumption, but, the change has been agreeable.

Once the heat gets here, I may have to close off the guest bedroom and smoke in there, but I'll hold out as long as I can.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Luckily, I have a heated back porch with sliding glass windows which allows plenty of ventilation

and a comfortable smoking experience.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I normally smoke on my enclosed back porch that I turned into a comfortable smoking space with electic heat. It's been so cold that the heater can't keep up, so I've been smoking in our unfinished basement.

Mar 29, 2016
I never smoke indoors unless It's a smoking lounge, it's much healthier for the smoker and the ones around him. It never came to my mind to smoke where I eat, sleep and live.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I always smoke outside or in my garage with the door open, but then I live in SE Louisiana and more likely to miss smoking my pipe because its too hot outside in the 7 months of summer.
I didn't really make a New Year's resolution this year but I did decided to go through some of the small mason jars before opening a new tin. (Note: I didn't say anything about buying new tins, just opening them.) I managed to finish off 10 jars between New Years and the end of February when I opened a tin of London Dock.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I love having a pipe outside as well, unfortunately in Canada we only have so much time to enjoy that kind of weather.

Therefore I have now transformed my garage into my smoking lounge. Fully heated in the winter with fridge, espresso bar, tv, sofa chairs, music and internet so I can still enjoy the forums.

Hell I even did my floors to freshen the place up.

Now even though it is very comfortable in there and an ideal place for relaxing with a bowl, as soon as the weather breaks, I still find myself outside under my gazebo with a pipe.

Something about the fresh air and that damn squirrel eating my garden, love it.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I love having a pipe outside as well, unfortunately in Canada we only have so much time to enjoy that kind of weather.

Therefore I have now transformed my garage into my smoking lounge.

Echoing Aro222, even though central VT isn't quite Canada, and even though my garage/shop is only a smoking lounge in the sense that it contains a chair and an ashtray. But it does have a heater (and a chain hoist!), and if I try to smoke outside this time of year the wind blows all the smoke away before I have a chance to appreciate it.

Maybe I'll take a picture of its highly refined decor.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Well, the hard part about smoking outside is not insurmountable, in that I enjoy browsing yet only have a laptop, so, I do take it out to the porch at least once or twice. I play poker too, and love to have a bowl during an online game. (funzeze)
I'm usually up hours before dawn and consequently get in two or three bowls out in the village-like setting that is my immediate community.

I like to use one of my cobs with the 'gummy' stem, especially my Pride, and walk very slowly up to a corner streetlight and back to the one nearest my building. I often see critters or hear wildlife, but it always seems like I have the place to myself as everyone around is nestled in for the night.

The walk is not long enough to complete a full bowl, and depending on how cold it is, I will then linger under a streetlamp outside my place, or pace from 'my' oak tree to the corner and back while scouring the night for movement like a nocturnal hunter.

I'm usually out before any bird sounds other than owls, and then by around say 4:30 or 5:00 I might start to hear the birds awaken. The area is rich with many sorts of them and wildlife in general. One reason for my being sure to be alert is that there is always the possibility for a black bear to show up. None have to date, that I know of, but I live at the edge of The Ocala National Forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.