PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Started the new year with a long morning smoke in a new-to-me pipe, first time lighting it up. I was originally on the hunt for an estate Peterson to restore for a walking pipe because of many positive recommendations. Then I was distracted by this Ser Jacopo pipe. I simply couldn't resist bringing it home. A little buffing with a cloth to bring out the shine on the raised areas of the silver and a little polish on the briar and it looks like a brand new pipe.
On the Ser Jacopo site, it says that the Calumet is made in very limited numbers but doesn't say what that really means. Does anyone know what their idea of very limited is? Sometimes a manufacturer's idea of limited numbers isn't the same as mine. Also, what was the original price? I can't seem to find one like this for sale to get an idea.
As a newbie, this is an easy smoker, glad I grabbed it. Maybe I'll find that Peterson later.

20220101_112004.jpg

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
The fact that you can't find another listing should be a clue to how uncommon your pipe is. Also, IMHO you'll find a Peterson a disappointment after experiencing the Ser Jacopo.
I'm getting that idea. There aren't really that many pictures on a google image search either. At least not of this particular Calumet model. There are plenty of pictures of the Calumet where the stem appears to extend past the bow.

Reactions: BROBS and ak2000

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
There are two Calumets for sale at SP currently.
A Caulmet 2 and 3. Most definitely out of my price range. I'll treasure this Calumet 1 and appreciate it even more for the good fortune of the find. The shapes are interesting but I think I lucked out with the nicest shape for my tastes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome SJ. The metalwork on the stem is unique. About eight years ago, SP had a sale on SJ, and I had a windfall from a project, and I was able to get a pipe at a great price. It's a blast with a serpentine (S configuration) square shank and stem, and a Dublin bowl. It's traditional by SJ standards, and I'm extremely glad I took the opportunity.

Reactions: Lost Somnambulist

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
That's a handsome SJ. The metalwork on the stem is unique. About eight years ago, SP had a sale on SJ, and I had a windfall from a project, and I was able to get a pipe at a great price. It's a blast with a serpentine (S configuration) square shank and stem, and a Dublin bowl. It's traditional by SJ standards, and I'm extremely glad I took the opportunity.
I would love to see a photo of that, it sounds interesting! SJ has a tremendous variety to their designs from what I'm seeing. My goal for the short term was to fill all six places on a pipe stand I refinished, now that's done. A pipe of this level falling into my set wasn't expected though. This forum has really helped me get a start on what to look for.

Reactions: Toast