PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
The how snuff is made video is my favorite so far.
I'll have to give this one a watch.
I'm so glad and grateful they make this stuff available for us. I have much respect for this company for keeping the traditions alive for so long.
I would love a " how it's made" episode dedicated to these guys it's truly fascinating.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Thanks for sharing the videos! :)

Now, if man can create High Tech tools and robots, please figure out a way to stop putting chemicals like PG, Poly Sorbate, etc... in our tobaccos please. :)

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Thanks for sharing the videos! :)

Now, if man can create High Tech tools and robots, please figure out a way to stop putting chemicals like PG, Poly Sorbate, etc... in our tobaccos please. :)
Sure if don't mind it going moldy or the opposite and being completely dried out by time it reaches you ;)

Solution would be to buy directly and local and smoke straight away (or grow your own and make) - similar with say bread and not adding preservatives and many other food products.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sure if don't mind it going moldy or the opposite and being completely dried out by time it reaches you ;)

Solution would be to buy directly and local and smoke straight away (or grow your own and make) - similar with say bread and not adding preservatives and many other food products.

Please tell Gawith to create better sealed tins. I wonder if the tins like C&D really leak much.
Seriously, in the year 2023, mankind can’t make a good sealed tin, and give us tobacco free of chemical additives, I believe so.

Sorry for going off topic.

It is a fact the research on PG is very limited, and because of it, no government knows the long term safety of it. But I do know, I have read research on this from many countries reports on it from around the world, it is not as safe as people believe. Spend time and look at the research and Gawith will know too.

Do you know if blenders were using PG and any other preservatives in the early 1980s in Europe?

So the question would be, what year/era did PG start getting added to pipe tobacco?

I smoked Dunhill, MacBaren, and Murray’s back in the early 80s, I was never aware any humectants or preservatives were added back then. hmm 🤔

Gawith could always place tins inside Vacuum Sealed bags afterwards, and you’d never need to add PG or Preservatives ever again! I’d pay more for this extra process to have chemical free tobacco. ;)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@gawithhoggarth

Or better yet, just put the tobacco in Vacuum Sealed bags, and then put Gawith stickers on the bags, and forget about tins.

Ken Byron Ventures uses these really nice vacuum sealed bags. Given their construction, I don’t believe these will ever leak, and therefore no need for PG and preservatives. ;)

I would of assumed too, using bags like this would also cut down costs.

ECEE1050-37B7-4B78-98C9-850314B8E110.jpeg

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Please tell Gawith to create better sealed tins. I wonder if the tins like C&D really leak much.
Seriously, in the year 2023, mankind can’t make a good sealed tin, and give us tobacco free of chemical additives, I believe so.

It is a fact the research on PG is very limited, and because of it, no government knows the long term safety of it. But I do know, I have read research on this from many countries reports on it from around the world, it is not as safe as people believe. Spend time and look at the research and Gawith will know too.

Do you know if blenders were using PG and any other preservatives in the early 1980s in Europe?

So the question would be, what year/era did PG start getting added to pipe tobacco?

I smoked Dunhill, MacBaren, and Murray’s back in the early 80s, I was never aware any humectants or preservatives were added back then. hmm 🤔

Gawith could always place tins inside Vacuum Sealed bags afterwards, and you’d never need to add PG or Preservatives ever again! I’d pay more for this extra process to have chemical free tobacco. ;)
What does that have to do with PG. Most or all of their blends also come in bulk bags and actual bulk per ounce. The 50g tins are such a small part of the overall product line you can buy.

Additionally, C&D tins have molded in the past so a tin isn't going to solve that problem.

There's all sorts of crazy chemicals that were put on tobacco of generations past. I'd argue there's less these days than there was generations ago. Producers used to put some pretty nasty stuff on their tobacco.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
What does that have to do with PG. Most or all of their blends also come in bulk bags and actual bulk per ounce. The 50g tins are such a small part of the overall product line you can buy.

Additionally, C&D tins have molded in the past so a tin isn't going to solve that problem.

There's all sorts of crazy chemicals that were put on tobacco of generations past. I'd argue there's less these days than there was generations ago. Producers used to put some pretty nasty stuff on their tobacco.

What does what have to do with PG?

I would of thought good vacuum sealing can fight against mold.

For bulk blends, if vacuum sealing can lessen the chemicals, maybe this is an alternative.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk

We are a tobacco manufacturer not a tin manufacturer (although we did look at the latter but costs were prohibitive). C&D are round tins. Everyone knows that round tins are much easier to get a better seal on due to the design. They are also much more expensive to produce, more difficult to label and do not pack and ship or display as well. It has all been considered.

Given the moans when taxes go up, when costs have to go up because of labour costs, packaging costs etc I very much doubt everyone would be happy if prices had to jump considerably because every tin was placed in a vacuum seal bag after tinning. And there would still be those moaning that the seal did not last......and how would this work for track and trace and labelling?

There are "natural tobaccos" and "chemical free" tobaccos. We sell one in the UK (hand rolling). It's a good seller BUT its very dry and dusty.

Whilst all these "expert" comments are great unless you are also an expert on track and trace requirements for the UK and Europe, labelling requirements, security feature requirements for HMRC and other tax authorities and exactly how labels have to go on and where and what can be used and what cannot be used in tobacco packaging, labelling etc.....then all the "make better tins", "put it in a bag" etc are pointless. There is far more to consider just to ensure that legally we are allowed to carry on producing and selling tobacco.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk

Absolutely. Used to be one blend that had cocaine in it.....not allowed to do that anyone LOL. Now with all the health and safety and as pretty much everything that is added has to be food grade safe, I suggest it's far less dangerous in terms of additives and chemicals than it used to be. But then often the same people will be quite happy popping out for a MacDonalds or drinking coca cola or other such products rammed full of chemicals. e-numbers.......