PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Hi all.

I've heard on more than a few pipe podcasts discussions of movies, TV shows, etc. with pipe smokers featured. (I don't think I've seen a thread here, but that is probably just my relative newness.) But one is coming: "The North Water."

From the IMBD synopsis:

• The North Water tells the story of Patrick Sumner, a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as ship's doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. On board he meets Henry Drax, the harpooner, a brutish killer whose amorality has been shaped to fit the harshness of his world. Hoping to escape the horrors of his past, Sumner finds himself on an ill-fated journey with a murderous psychopath. In search of redemption, his story becomes a harsh struggle for survival in the Arctic wasteland.

Drax, played by Colin Ferrell, is the pipe smoker (there are others judging by some of the online images I see). This photo is from its Twitter account:

1626397297699.png

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Hi all.

I've heard on more than a few pipe podcasts discussions of movies, TV shows, etc. with pipe smokers featured. (I don't think I've seen a thread here, but that is probably just my relative newness.) But one is coming: "The North Water."

From the IMBD synopsis:

• The North Water tells the story of Patrick Sumner, a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as ship's doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. On board he meets Henry Drax, the harpooner, a brutish killer whose amorality has been shaped to fit the harshness of his world. Hoping to escape the horrors of his past, Sumner finds himself on an ill-fated journey with a murderous psychopath. In search of redemption, his story becomes a harsh struggle for survival in the Arctic wasteland.

Drax, played by Colin Ferrell, is the pipe smoker (there are others judging by some of the online images I see). This photo is from its Twitter account:

View attachment 88429
If I had to keep my tobacco dry and my pipe lit while whaling...I'd probably turn into a murderous psychopath too. I empathize.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I wonder how many folk will now watch this simply because some actor is smoking a pipe.

I really don't get excited or go weak at the knees at seeing another guy smoke a pipe but apparently some folk do :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: HopHand

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Saw the first episode, great show!
Resemble to Moby Dick and Wolf Larsen.
We cut our cord a while back, so I'll need to figure out how to access AMC+ -- I think there's a .99 option via Amazon Prime.

It seems to hit on the mark on a few fronts: Moby Dickish (not a vulgarity when used that way!), Colin Farrell (who I do like from In Bruges, The Lobster, True Detective and who can forget from Daredevil!), not just pipe smoking.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Amazing series , grim and brutal. Though I'm often not keen on CF , here he excels.
Unfortunately at least one pipe ( possibly more ) is imho historically incorrect. Annoying flaw ; the prop people
should have consulted us :)
Make an educated guess which one !
not really too much of an issue. They know most people will have no clue.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah it's funny I'll watch a show and think that pipe wasn't around then. Start caring and then remember my dad doing the same thing with guns in t.v. shows and thinking who cares. It reminds me to say the same thing. I remember once watching a show and the gun the guy had was historically inaccurate by one year and that ruining it for him. :)

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Well, some people care about such flaws. It is one of my favourite little "games" to sniff them out.
So, actually you do not have a clue which pipe we're talking rotf
There's only one I'm quite certain was not around then. Not much of an achievement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since they were doing a series with a pipe smoking lead character, I can only hope they commissioned a pipe to resemble those of the times and didn't buy a current factory pipe easily recognizable by pipe smokers. Sailors of that era would only own one pipe at a time, so it would make sense to commission a row of five or six, in case of loss or a need for a rotation. If the actor was not a pipe smoker, I hope he took the time to learn how to smoke a pipe from an old timer who knows how.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Related to smoking on a whaling vessel, according to Melville's "Moby Dick," which is actually a dependable account of what was then a major industry, long stretches of whaling were spent sailing out to intercept the whales in their migrations. The active part of actually rowing after and harpooning the whale, bringing it alongside dead, and butchering it, was hugely demanding but a small part of the overall time spent at sea. Most of square rigger duty was bad weather or boredom, along with endless hard work.

Reactions: orlandofurioso