PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Title edited for caps and brevity. -jpm Please see Rule 9. Former title:

"What is your process when you receive new to you tobaccos?"

I've have been exploring more Va/Vaper blends. I usually will give a sampling in a cob or meer to attempt a cleaner tasting. But, that brings me to the next part and the question i pose. Do you all work your way down all your various pipes to find that one that pairs nicely?

The thing that can be frustrating with pipe smoking, I have always found, is the variability. I find some pipe really bring out the flavor of certain tobaccos where others leave them flat. Some blends of tobaccos seem lack luster until i find that right pipe.

Currently going through my pipes with Robert McConnel Red Virginia. Some have been better than others

Last edited by a moderator:

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I generally smoke new blends in a pipe that I am very familiar with and have smoked similar blends in.

If it fairs well in that one, then I'll smoke the new blend in my other pipes that I use for that particular style of tobacco. Sometimes I'll come across a pairing that blows my socks off, but usually I just come away with some good/great smokes. Sometimes one ends up tasting flat for one reason or another, but I'll always revisit it because a number of variables could have played a part, and I'll be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Enjoy the adventure. That's part of the fun.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I only keep a handful of pipes, so there’s not much choice. I also don’t buy much new blends now but when I do and I like the first bowl, I’ll keep it out until it’s gone. I just did that with blockade runner, and about half way through the tin bought 1.5 pounds to set aside.

If I put a new blend away after the first bowl, I probably won’t ever buy it again.

Reactions: Servant King

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I open the tin, smell it, prep it, the smoke it. I don't put alot of science into it.

I generally, but not always, smoke Burley blends in my rusticated pipes, Virginia blends in my sandblasted pipes and English blends in my smooth finished pipes. I smoke new stuff somewhere along those guidelines.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't get up tight about a new blend. Some are love at first puff. Most blends, for me, require a little familiarization and learning. Sometimes I don't like the first go-around much at all, but the blend will get better each go-around as I get the idea of the blend.

Trying it in different pipes can be part of that process. But I wouldn't frantically go from pipe to pipe. Perfection is nearer with some experience, not by hitting on the right pipe and blend all at once. Go easy and let the blend come to you, like a cat, if you like cats.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I generally smoke new blends in a pipe that I am very familiar with and have smoked similar blends in.

If it fairs well in that one, then I'll smoke the new blend in my other pipes that I use for that particular style of tobacco. Sometimes I'll come across a pairing that blows my socks off, but usually I just come away with some good/great smokes. Sometimes one ends up tasting flat for one reason or another, but I'll always revisit it because a number of variables could have played a part, and I'll be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Enjoy the adventure. That's part of the fun.
^^^^THIS^^^^

If the result is promising but not quite right I'll experiment with packing and moisture content. Occasionally I'll try out a differently sized chamber.

Most of my pipes smoke whatever I put in them in a satisfactory manner.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I’ll generally try a new blend in several different pipes, mostly in pipes that have already smoke the same type of tobacco components. Meaning I won’t sample a new Virginia in a pipe I smoke English blends out of. But its not really rocket science I generally know right away if I like a blend. If I’m undecided, I’ll tuck it away and try it again after several months of age on it. The ultimate decision is if something is cellar worthy and that’s what I try to decide with new blends.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
open the tin and wait a week. If it's a goopy blend wait two weeks. Then smoke that blend mostly until the tin is gone. Of course the day I open it I have the most disappointing smoke possible and then wait a week. If it's bulk jar it right away but tins don't go in jars (unless it's a weird one that I know I'll only crave strongly every once in a while).

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I like to smoke an English or straight Virginia blend immediately before smoking the first bowl of a new-to-me blend in one of my clay pipes. For some reason, this seems to bring out the flavors of the new blend.

After a bowl in a clay pipe, I rotate the new blend through a meerschaum, briar and cob.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Unless the tobacco is ghosting I try them in different pipes. Generally a VA or vaper sings for me in briar where a meer doesn't do anything with them. A burley or vabur like golden extra sings in a meer for me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr