PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

boilerman19

Lurker
Oct 9, 2022
Denied
Everytime i join a new forum i feel like im starting an AA meeting! But anyways, started picking up pipe smoking about a year and a half ago. I had no one to really ask or shops to go to so i found a few youtube videos and became a master smoker over night! Thats also how i learned to be a rocket scientist!! I started small when i started. Found a starter kit for about 70 bucks and ran with that for 6 months or so. I picked up a Missouri corn cob, which i really liked smoking. Just bought my first good pipe. A savinelli roma lucite 673. Still waiting on it. I have experience not many different tobacco's yet seeing as i only smoke on weekends. I dont go threw them to fast. But they have been cornell and diehl. One i think was an aromatic and another a Virginia. Both of them are light smokers nothing too bold. I enjoyed both of them very much. I still have many times i smoke, that doesnt go well, but im still learning. I wanted to branch out a little more and had some questions about what i may be doing wrong with smoking so thought i would join this.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Welcome from PA. You will definitely get a lot of info here, with plenty of people willing to answer all those questions.

Just pack lightly and sip. I got plenty of tongue bite in the 1st few months and every now and then, I'll still get it when I freight train a tobacco I love. Be sure to check out tobaccoreviews website. There are plenty of reviews on just about every tobacco and many times, you can get an idea of how to tackle a certain blend.

Above all else, enjoy the journey!

Reactions: boilerman19

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. You might want to start researching on how to smoke flake tobacco. Use your Savinelli for flakes or just Virginia's. You should get a cool dry smoke with good flavors. A Savinelli was my first pipe and it smoked great. It gave me a baseline on what a good pipe should smoke like so when you do buy a shit pipe you will know it.

I bought a couple of lemons in the beginning and it was the Savinelli who showed me why. I would only buy a Savinelli with no filter or adaptor, they are not needed. If you did buy a Sav with filters, just toss them. You can toss the adaptor as well as you don't need one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central N.C. My standard advice to new pipe smokers is don't buy any tobacco in quantity starting out. Stick to a pouch, an ounce or two bulk, or one tin. What you don't like, put in jar and try it in a year. Your tastes will change.