Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwlinder111

Lurker
Aug 13, 2016
So I am new to pipes went to my local tobacco shop and picked up a cob and some house blends they had. I am really enjoying it. I had a buddy give me a dr grabow royal duke and a pipe I haven't heard of called a Willard. I am excited to keep growing and learning more about this new life. If anyone would like to throw some pointers things to watch for or new blends to try I'm all ears.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum. There's a ton of info on this site, plus links to other stuff.
What blends have you tried? Liked, disliked?
Don't hesitate to ask specific questions.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum ! Buy a couple more cobs and experiment with different blends to find out what you like. Your Willard was made by Dr. Grabow back in the 60's-- 70's as a coupon pipe for RJ Reynolds and was also sold in military exchanges. Most have nylon stems with the Ajustomatic feature.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
welcome jw'. You've got the essentials. You likely have a pipe tool -- a 92 cent pipe nail or horseshoe nail is all you need, or a $3 Czech tool, and some pipe cleaners. My oft' repeated advice is to buy tobacco only in small quantities, one or two ounces, and try quite a few. Even the ones you like a lot, since your tastes will develop and change. I wouldn't buy anything in quantity for a year or two, and even then, go slow. Good old U.S. factory-made pipes are often fine smokers and a great bargain. I especially like the Dr. Grabow Royalton line with durable acrylic stems. Have fun, enjoy the journey, and take your time.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
This forum is a very very small part of the pipe smoking world. There is a boatload of good of information here,but try and just follow your tongue. You will be tempted to try exotic blends and buy exotic and pricey pipes. You don't need to do either to enjoy it. Your palette will develope at its own pace. Trust it.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Your off to a great start, now get some Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, East India Trading Co Royal Challenge,and some Carter Hall and you will be smoking happy for life. Of corse there are many other blends that you may want to try, so feel free to do so.
I would also suggest getting on youtube and look up "stuffandthings" the guy there does his reviews of blends that really go into detail, some times I think he is a twit, but he does a fantastic job of detailing each blend and I usually agree with his description

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome JW. A few thousand of your closest friends will be more than happy to help you on your way as you discover the pleasures to be found in the hobby. Here's a bit of advice I like to share with new smokers:

1. Your tobacco should be much drier than you think it should be.

2. Your tobacco should be packed much looser than you think it should be.

3. You should smoke your pipe much slower than you think you should. Think "sip," not "puff."

4. As you smoke, run a pipe cleaner through the airway periodically to keep it clean and dry.

5. Tamp lightly occasionally, especially before you relight. Don't empty the ash--it will help keep the pipe cool.
There's lots more information you'll pick up along the way, but the above info will help get you started. Feel free to ask sny or all of us any questions you might have.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Also look up smokeringspipedreams on YouTube. Kel's videos are hilarious at times, and deeply informative.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I add my welcome as well.
My suggestions: start off with a burley blend, maybe Carter Hall, an old time codger blend or Scotty's Butternut Burley, a blend with some Cavendish and a little sweetness. Be aware some folks dislike burley, others love it. It is usually a bit forgiving in that it generally doesn't bite like some, especially Virginias, do, and can be an all day smoke. The Latikia blends take a little getting used to but are wonderful to some of us. Don't get too exotic right away. If you try a tobacco and don't like it, don't give up on it. Sometimes letting it sit and age for a few months can do wonders. Besides, your tastes will change as you go along.
If you find some fellow pipers around your area, talk to them. They likely will give you some samples of their favorites.
Take it slow, and enjoy.
[edit] Develop the good habit of running a pipe cleaner through your pipe at the end of every bowl.

jwlinder111

Lurker
Aug 13, 2016
Thanks all.
I have tried what my local tobacconist calls north fork it's a mild as to what I'm told and I also bought some green river burley. How often a day can I smoke a pipe since I have two plus my cob I've been smoking two a day with 24-48 hrs in between. Should I dedicate certain pipes to certain blends or can I mix them. So far from what I have tried I notice myself smoking hotter than I prolly should just to get the density of smoke I'm used to with a cigarette. Is there anything anyone can recommend that would provide this. I really like the green river burley it's got a great vanilla taste to it I really enjoy. And yes when I went into the shop I sat down and had done some research before picked up two two ounce bags of tobacco and a Czech tool a bag of pipe cleaners and a cob and some matches.

jwlinder111

Lurker
Aug 13, 2016
Also if I don't like something and want to shelf it for a little how can I go about storing it can I put it in some mason jars or do I need something else.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mason jars are God's gift to tobacco enthusiasts. Just store them in a cool dark place, and you're good to go. All of my tins and jars are kept in my living room closet.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
+1 on the Mason jars.
As to changes in tobacco after storing for a while, Virginias seem to benefit the most, becoming sweeter with some age. Latakia tends to mellow a bit, mixing with other flavors, isn't as forward, so sometimes this is good, other times not so, depending upon what you like. Burleys I don't notice a great deal of change, but YMMV. There are some threads on this forum talking in more detail about all this. There are also several folks much more knowledgeable about this topic than I.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
BTW, when cellaring (that's what we call storing tobacco for a while), don't pack the tobacco tightly into the jar. I like to drop fill, shake to settle without tamping, and leave a little air space at the top. It's the oxygen that assists in the aging. Again, there are several posts about this topic.

tdehart

Lurker
Aug 12, 2016
wow ravkesef - i wish i would've heard/read those 5 points earlier in my pipe smoking adventure!
jwlinder111 - ravkesef is absolutely right. I'll add, as a novice (been smoking a little over a year) it took me a long time to understand "sip, not puff". A few months ago I heard this and had been trying practice then one night I was sitting on my back deck and I felt like I had a pipe smoking breakthru! I was smoking from my cob like normal, ash had built up on the top, I was sipping and then started getting the most flavorful COOL smoke from a blend I'd smoked many times before. Took my pipe out of my mouth and stared at it dazed and in wonderment - there was no smoke coming from the bowl itself. I thought for a second that it just went out. Put it back in my mouth and proceeded to keep sipping for another 20 - 30 minutes - PURE BLISS!!! ...all I can say is there's defiantly something to taking your time and learning how to smoke.

jwlinder111

Lurker
Aug 13, 2016
I guess I am just going to have to keep at it and overtime I'll get the hang of it. I notice here lately my pipe has been going out quite a few times 7-10 matches per smoke. I also notice the more I have to light the hotter the bowl smokes so I've been reading and saw on one of these forums where the guy mentioned to cover the bowl partially and puff on it and it helps it from going out. I found out about a pipe club at my local tobacco shop I'm going to have to show up and see if I can't learn anything.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I'll take the contrarian view on so-called beginners' blends. When I started, my idea was to stop by the drugstore and pick up a Dr. Grabow pipe and pouch or two of an OTC whose name I knew, such as Carter Hall or Grainger. However there was a B&M tobacconist on my way walking home from campus and it was closer than the drugstore, so I stopped in. Left with a Savinelli Punto Oro and a baggie of an English house blend. I was a cigar smoker (and I mean good-quality all-tobacco Dominicans, not El Productos or White Owls!) and had I begun with a codger blend I'm pretty sure I would've given up the pipe quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.